10k spec me a car

Soldato
Reality Bites said:
you'll never see it go above 600 on an A3's tank!

i had the 1.9tdi (was an o3)....but the new 2l TDI isn't much different.

sticking to 75 on a tank i managed around 520 before running on fumes.

driving normally i managed 460-480. (90mph on motorways and getting up to speed pretty quick)

90mph is too high rev wise. I don't know about the 1.9 but the 2.0 with DSG definately goes above 600 @ 70-80 mph and it is accurate!

Soldato
Reality Bites said:
you having a laugh?

you needed to be doign 105mph to go above 3000rpm!

hardly too higher revs!

Eh? No, really. I don't know about the 1.9 but I know the 2.0 defo gives above 600 on motorway driving.

Soldato
I would suggest having a look at the Honda Civic as well. As you are used to a small car, have you thought about the Ford Fiesta ST. It packs a punch, although mpg is not that good. :)

Soldato
OP
Woho! Getting my bonus at the end of the moenth. Not a bad one, so half is going into the pension and the other half is gonna get used on the new car.

One of the guys at works mrs has an A3 2 litre TDI and he said that he would pinch it so i can have a trash to see if i like it.

Roll on a couple of months when i finally get shot of the Corsa! yay! :D

Associate
rather than making a new thread im inline for a new car 10,000, but preferably 9500 cos i need some for insurance.

ive been lookign at clio 182 trophy, has anybody driven one?
I think the cupra r are a bit to common now.
Focus st170?

im 21 with 2 years ncb.

Last edited:
Caporegime
ICE Master said:
rather than making a new thread im inline for a new car 10,000, but preferably 9500 cos i need some for insurance.

ive been lookign at clio 182 trophy, has anybody driven one?
I think the cupra r are a bit to common now.
Focus st170?

im 21 with years ncb.

LCR is nowhere near as common as an ST170, and unlike the ST170 actually has some grunt.

182 Trophy is a completely different kettle of fish, and isn't really comparable in the same way. If you want a B-Road basher, incredibly chuckable and fun, but no comfort levels, and not great for a commute, get the clio.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The OP didn't state any thoughts on space. If you can deal with two seats and want smiles per mile, then an MX5 is relatively cheap to insure, reliable and fairly economical.
If you want a hatch sized car like the A3, then my preference would be the CTR. It's the best fwd hot hatch I've driven.
For a coupe, you could look at a 200SX which can now be had for £6k tops. With the change, you could pay the insurance and drop a few mods on it.

If you fancy something more relaxed, then you have the budget to make it into a 330.

Those would be cars that I'd recommend you test drive.

Associate
paradigm said:
LCR is nowhere near as common as an ST170, and unlike the ST170 actually has some grunt.

182 Trophy is a completely different kettle of fish, and isn't really comparable in the same way. If you want a B-Road basher, incredibly chuckable and fun, but no comfort levels, and not great for a commute, get the clio.

so you saying its not good to commute to work and general driving?
But its good to thrash on back roads?

Man of Honour
Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
You realise thats a Cat D insurance writeoff? Takes some hefy damage to Cat D a recent model low mileage BMW.

Nope i had no idea.

lol! thanks! :eek: And this shows why i havent brought a secondhand car before. Because i havent a clue what i am doing! :o

Soldato
OP
lol! The work mate has brought his mrs A3 (1.9 TDI) in. I have just been out for a quickie round the back roads at work and wow! My car sucks so much! lol

I want one! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Another suggestion is owners forums for the cars you are interested in, you will often find some for sale there, and it has the added bonus of you can have a search under the persons account name and look for posts regarding problems etc. Thats how I got mine, yes it has been ragged (I know this for a fact as I was sat in the passenger seat while it was being ragged LOL) but its also been looked after with cool-downs and warm-ups, oil changes etc.

Agreed - check out this bargain Mazda3 MPS (56 Plate just sold) http://www.mazda3forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=2582.0

Back
Top Bottom