Insurance woes.

Soldato
God I hate insurance, I've not even passed my test yet and I can see it's going to suck me dry every month.

I'm looking at getting a 1.6 Focus Zetec as a first car and after countless hours of getting quotes the cheapest is still £2550 and that's with Pass Plus and only TPFT.

Even trying quotes on my mums 1.25 Fiesta Zetec with the exact same details, the cheapest is £2300 so there's not much point in me buying a slower, smaller car than a Focus as the saving isn't worth the compromise in space and power.

The thing that bugs me the most though, is the fact that a simple change of postcode brings the quote down from ~2.5k to ~1.5k, a difference of £1000 just from living in a different area. :mad:

Soldato
I think even cheaper/older cars are stupid to insure though, a 19 year old mate's just bought my 11 year old 306 DTurbo (group 5 insurance) which is valued at less than a grand, and his insurance quotes ranged from £1200 to £4500!

Soldato
broona said:
I think even cheaper/older cars are stupid to insure though, a 19 year old mate's just bought my 11 year old 306 DTurbo (group 5 insurance) which is valued at less than a grand, and his insurance quotes ranged from £1200 to £4500!

Wife was 20 when she bought an m-reg clio 1.2 (or is it 1.1?) , only cost £750 for her first year. Then the years no claims let her insure an r-reg astra TD for only £450.

Do you live in iraq or something? :D :p

Soldato
Replicant said:
Add your parents as named drivers.

This is often useful, just be sure they're named drivers not main drivers, else your insurance won't payout when you chuck it through a hedge into 4 parked cars and a bus load of nuns.

Soldato
OP
Believe me, I've tried everything.

Dad doesn't drive, mum has 0 ncb and adding her with Quinn (cheapest insurer for me) doesn't make a difference, not even a penny.

Just a few examples of cars and the prices of insurance for me on them:

1.2 litre, S reg Fiat Punto : 1.9k
1.25 litre, V reg Ford Fiesta : 2.3k
1.4 litre, T reg Peugeot 306 : 2.3k
306 DTurbo, 1.9l : 2.3k

all TPFT and all with the exact same details. Even putting the Punto's value at £500 it came out at 1.9k and I'd rather pay an extra £600 than have to drive around in a 1.2l punto for a year.

Like I said previously, I don't think I could live in a much worse postcode if I tried. Nearly every other area and the quotes almost halve.

*EDIT* - According to the insurance groups in the sticky, the only places worse to live for insurance seem to be East London and Belfast :mad: .

Last edited:
Soldato
SB118 said:
Wife was 20 when she bought an m-reg clio 1.2 (or is it 1.1?) , only cost £750 for her first year. Then the years no claims let her insure an r-reg astra TD for only £450.

Do you live in iraq or something? :D :p

According to the stickies, we're in a 2a insurance risk zone, very low I think! Where he lives is a little like Iraq at times though.....

Soldato
DanTheMan said:
*EDIT* - According to the insurance groups in the sticky, the only places worse to live for insurance seem to be East London and Belfast :mad: .

Damn that sucks. Quinn were the cheapest for us too (my SJ is going to be £162 fully comp when i renew :D)

Soldato
You live in Manchester. actually in the city or a suburb? I work for an underwriter and i quote insurance allll day, and Manchester is one of those postcodes that loads your premium by a bucket load (not that you need my job to know that...)

There's not much you can do. Either put yourself as a named driver on your mum's policy and take a hit by not earning NCB for a couple of years, or cough it up. You cant change your postcode. You *could* "keep" your vehicle at a different postcode overnight (*cough*) but im certainly not advising it and if something happens to your car outside your house, be prepaired for 0 pay out.

Soldato
OP
DampCat said:
You live in Manchester. actually in the city or a suburb? I work for an underwriter and i quote insurance allll day, and Manchester is one of those postcodes that loads your premium by a bucket load (not that you need my job to know that...)

There's not much you can do. Either put yourself as a named driver on your mum's policy and take a hit by not earning NCB for a couple of years, or cough it up. You cant change your postcode. You *could* "keep" your vehicle at a different postcode overnight (*cough*) but im certainly not advising it and if something happens to your car outside your house, be prepaired for 0 pay out.

I live about ~2miles from Manchester City centre. Just did a quote once more for myself with my postcode on a 1.6 Focus and it came to 2.5k. Exact same details but with my mates postcode (Staffordshire) and it came to 1.5k :mad:.

Looks like I'm just going to have to cough up £220 a month for insruance. :(

Soldato
it's not wrong (well it is... it's fraud). In my experience, 60%+ of young drivers spend the first 2 years on their parents policy. Like i said, you wont get any NCB and when you do get your own policy you will have to cough up still (since insurance doesnt really get any discount until you are 25, or have 2 years NCB if you're younger than that).

Hell. i did it. Now at 22 i insure a 4 litre Jeep Cherokee for not a lot :p

Back
Top Bottom