Another successful lapping job

Soldato
Well almost....lapped my CPU and when I started putting on my waterblock again I noticed the plexitop had cracked! Stupid Thermaltake block has gone and finally forced me to get a decent waterblock...so if anyone has one for sale let me know ;) I've got a thread in the WTB section.

Anyway..before:

After:

Soldato
OP
RaiderX said:
nice reflection on it, got any results on temp drops?

Nope...like I said my wb cracked...it was clamped down for so long that when it was unclamped from the mobo it must have flexed a bit or something as it sat and cracked. (I looked at it 1 sec..then looked again a few seconds later and it was cracked...it was just sitting there untouched)

Anyway i had all kinds of crap on the bottom of the waterblock....that Coolaboratory Pro liquid metal stuff was all gunked on the bottom and somehow reacted with the metal....so my temps were terrible before. 39-41c idle and about 48c under load...this was at speeds in my sig....terrible temperatures.

So with a new wb and a lapping job I'm expecting a nice little drop in temps.

Associate
elfy said:
48c at 3.2 is terrible?
All relative on what the cooling is rated for tbh.

My E6420 at 3.2 barely touches 40C, on a homebrew WC setup. Just 1/4" ID loop, Koolance block, lo-flow Hydor pump, 1x120mm rad and slowed down 120mm YS-Tech fan. It's actually quieter than aircooling, temps are a bonus.

Associate
gurusan said:
Well almost....lapped my CPU and when I started putting on my waterblock again I noticed the plexitop had cracked! Stupid Thermaltake block has gone and finally forced me to get a decent waterblock...so if anyone has one for sale let me know ;) I've got a thread in the WTB section.

Anyway..before:

After:

You can't see copper there though can you?

Associate
Cyber-Mav said:
if thats idle then water must be linked to the kettle or something.

Well my 6600

3.4ghz @1.35v idle is 38oC and Load is 45oC

4.0Ghz @ 1.55v Idle 39oC Load 56oC

Idle always seem to be near 40oC. However load is alrite for the clocks

Last edited:
Associate
Townlea said:
Well my 6600

3.4ghz @1.35v idle is 38oC and Load is 45oC

4.0Ghz @ 1.55v Idle 39oC Load 56oC

Idle always seem to be near 40oC. However load is alrite for the clocks

think i`ve got a bad chip. Won`t hold 3.6ghz on 1.58 vcore :(
temps at 65 deg under load on water

Soldato
OP
Lol so another thermaltake thing has broken.

My cat knocked my radiator off a chair and one of the copper tubing thingies bent into a kink...also one of my normal plastic tubes have developed a kink so my flow rate is quite slow.

Kind of bummed out because not only did I lap my CPU, but I got a nice little EK Wave wb from WJA96...only to install it and find out my temps were 50c idle and 74c under orthos! lol.

Next I plan on purchasing a quality pump, new tubing, and a nice 120.3 radiator..but I have no money for a little while so I had to downclock my setup to 2.33ghz (333fsb) so the temps would stay reasonable (still 39c idle and 58 full load...the stock fan is way better than this! )

Once all that's done I'll post up my new max oc and the temps.

:mad:

Turns out the lapping job was successful, but pretty much everything related to the water system went wrong...lol. Hooray thermaltake! (at least their toughpower PSU's are still quite nice)

Associate
gurusan said:
Lol so another thermaltake thing has broken.

My cat knocked my radiator off a chair and one of the copper tubing thingies bent into a kink...also one of my normal plastic tubes have developed a kink so my flow rate is quite slow.

Kind of bummed out because not only did I lap my CPU, but I got a nice little EK Wave wb from WJA96...only to install it and find out my temps were 50c idle and 74c under orthos! lol.

Next I plan on purchasing a quality pump, new tubing, and a nice 120.3 radiator..but I have no money for a little while so I had to downclock my setup to 2.33ghz (333fsb) so the temps would stay reasonable (still 39c idle and 58 full load...the stock fan is way better than this! )

Once all that's done I'll post up my new max oc and the temps.

:mad:

Turns out the lapping job was successful, but pretty much everything related to the water system went wrong...lol. Hooray thermaltake! (at least their toughpower PSU's are still quite nice)

Thats pretty bad luck mate! :(

Soldato
I've heard it said that cable ties can be used to un-kink tubing.

It may not unkink it, but you may be able to force it to go back circular again rather than flat.

Not exactly pretty, but it might get your speeds up until you get the cash together.

Soldato
OP
The Halk said:
I've heard it said that cable ties can be used to un-kink tubing.

It may not unkink it, but you may be able to force it to go back circular again rather than flat.

Not exactly pretty, but it might get your speeds up until you get the cash together.

yeah i would imagine a zip tie would work...but the thing is I'm pretty sure it's the kinked copper radiator tubing that is the problem...

Anyway once I get a new radiator, tubing, and pump my WC system should be pretty decent.

I just really need a summer job for some cash. If anyone knows of something in the Oxfordshire area let me know! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom