BMW Audio what are you using?

Soldato
mrk said:
Is it screwed on? the battery is under the sub so I'd have thought it would be a menace to manage!
Secured buy some seriously heavy duty velcro, although that's not even needed, the enclosure is such a snug fit it tucks in there by itself. Only ever had to remove it once whilst picking up something big from ikea.

Wicksta said:
Love the boot install!!
Thanks.

Soldato
Im still cruising to BMW Business, but my car came with the 'HiFi' upgrade, so I have 11 speakers (Tourer, so it only has 1 sub, not two hence the missing 12th speaker). The headunit doesnt provide the amping, there's a BMW amp in the boot behind the changer. Replaced the changer with a Sony MP3 changer and using a ibus -> sony interface. It works for the most part, although it doesnt allow album skip like the sony headunit would.

I've got a Kenwood Sub enhancing the bass, but set quite low so it doesnt overpower the system. Quite a nice balanced sound. I'll probably upgrade the front speakers at some point, but with all the airbags everywhere, I am a little concerned about ripping out the door cards and setting them off. (Anyone know anything about E39 side airbags?)

markyp23 said:
My thoughts too!

Just looked through your "portfolio" (is that the word?) and all the rest of them are class.

Obviously the content is good, nay awesome, but is it the camera that makes them look so "crisp"? I've never been able to take a good picture with any of our cameras, including 7.1MP ones.

I'm guessing that the 7.1MP has very little to do with quality in the end? Is it even possible to take nice photos with them?

Megapixels means nothing really. The sensors in cameras come in different physical sizes. The larger the sensor physically the higher the number of photons (light particals) that will hit any given pixel increases, giving less noise. The smaller the sensor the more error correction the camera uses to compensate, and that can reduce sharpness.

Even the big DSLR's come with different sensor sizes, although even the cheapest DSLR will have a far bigger sensor than a point and click. You also gain the ability to use a very large apature lens, which give the effect mrk's photo demonstrates, where everything infront, and behind the 'subject' is out of focus (Look at the gearstick), but the subject itself is sharp. Very good at drawing your eye to the subject in the image. A small apature on the lens has the opposite effect, a much greater depth of focus, which would make everything in the picture sharp, but also (in my option) make an interesting photo look dull.

Associate
If you did want a simple aftermarket H/U I've often thought the Nakamichi head units would suit the BMW interior with a similar OEM look

Caporegime
mrk said:
headunit.jpg

E46 dash, some said no head unit suits a bmw dash except for a bmw one, some were quite wrong :)

Not sure I'm convinced the retro fit is as "clean" as the factory look, none the less, thats a nice setup! :)

As others have said, great photo!!! - anybody'd think you were a photographer or something! ;) :cool:

I Really like the work on your site mrk.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
R124/LA420 said:
Not sure I'm convinced the retro fit is as "clean" as the factory look, none the less, thats a nice setup! :)

As others have said, great photo!!! - anybody'd think you were a photographer or something! ;) :cool:

I Really like the work on your site mrk.

Allo!, many thanks for the comments, the site isn't fully updated yet, perhaps I should make use of a Sunday afternoon and get that done hehe.

Either way though as long as it looked decent and sounded better than the stock head unit I wasn't going to complain :p

Man of Honour
Replicant said:
Nick come on bud, M tech wheel and gear knob in a diesel, you having a laugh aint ya :p

It's a genuine Sport model, all the M badging is factory fitted :confused:

There is a tad more to BMW's M division than just the high end M Power cars. They've been doing styling, suspension and interior tweaks for other models in the BMW range for decades.

Soldato
Replicant said:
Nick come on bud, M tech wheel and gear knob in a diesel, you having a laugh aint ya :p

Yes, one is having a laugh. That said, the final laugh was on me hooning round the nurburgring at easter and hitting 210bhp/350lbft on the rollers.

How many times has your petrol car been on the track?

12thaprilcochemandadenauerforst469.jpg

P1010609.jpg

P1010534.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
easyrider said:
This possible in my 320 D sport?

Yup - exactly the same job as Nick did regardless of engine size. If you have the patience, skills and spare cash you can fit the whole lot - it's about £1100 to buy enough stuff to retrofit the screen, radio module, and GPS system. If you want TV, thats another £250ish, and another £300ish will get you integrated BMW bluetooth.

Back
Top Bottom