Building up muscle?

Caporegime
I don't know why but I've always looked so thin, when I used to do PE at school someone once asked me if I ate, and when I look in the mirror I always look so pathetic. :p I'm 1.7m tall and weigh 57Kg. Are there any exercises I could do without going to a gym to help build up a bit of muscle so I don't look so scrawny? :o

Associate
Energize said:
I don't know why but I've always looked so thin, when I used to do PE at school someone once asked me if I ate, and when I look in the mirror I always look so pathetic. :p I'm 1.7m tall and weigh 57Kg. Are there any exercises I could do without going to a gym to help build up a bit of muscle so I don't look so scrawny? :o

Why do you wish to avoid the gym? Thats the obvious place to go if you want to start building up.

Associate
Do you play sport? Thats usually a big reason that you wont have any muscle. Get into some sports. There are soo many exercises you can do without going to the gym. You canm get very strong at home but you need to do a little research into bodyweight exercises. As everyone will tell you, the most important thing is to eat properly.

Soldato
I'm guessing you don't want to go to the gym because you'll feel self conscious? I'm a skinny lad compared to the ones at the gym and I sometimes feel self conscious about my size, still I go it doesn't affect me majorly, but then again i'm not THAT small at 11stone 5'8.

Do bodyweight exercises, heres a good website I found for each body part.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Only thing is some bodyweight exercises can be a lot harder than free weights where you can build up gradually.

Caporegime
loads of body weight exercises to start you off, once you feel a bit more confident you can look for a gym if you need.

tbh, i wouldnt worry about other people in the gym, there is always someone smaller or more out of shape than you AND the people who care about how they look will be too interested in themselves to be thinking about looking at you :]

Caporegime
Energize said:
Main reason I don't want to go to a gym is that I don't have the time or money doing my A levels.

college or uni gym, or even council sports centre gyms are cheap and usually good enough.

remember, you need time away from your studies, being in the gym a few hours will make you feel better about yourself and definitely help you in your school work :]

Caporegime
young lad said:
i am 15 how do you think i feel when i walk in a gym they all hide their phones and mp3's sick of being thought bad of beacuse of age beacuse few are bad we all are.

they shouldnt have them all on show then tbh, i know of more people who thieve from gyms who are over 25 than under 18.

Man of Honour
Morba said:
they shouldnt have them all on show then tbh, i know of more people who thieve from gyms who are over 25 than under 18.

The gyms near me specifically ask people not to carry their mobile phone into the gym and they provide free lockers for your gear anyway - although it has less to do with thievery than the annoyance that is someone taking a call in the middle of your workout. :)

Energize, best suggestion I can give is the bodyweight exercises if you don't want to/can't afford a gym (uni gyms are usually pretty cheap as Morba says though). Chong Warrior listed quite a few in this thread.

Associate
If your self conscious and dont have the money, buy a cheap chin-up bar from argos and some weights too, but this wont build you up properly, you'd look all out-of-sync.

Associate
^^ Not necessarily. If he plans out a full body work out to do during the week and performs the exercises the way they should be done then i don't see any reason why he would look out of sync.

P.S If you want to build muscle you will have to start eating a lot of good food regulary during the day and every day. If you're determined enough to do it then i don't see why you can't achieve your goals.

Good luck

Soldato
You need to eat and eat some more I was 9 stone once now 13st mostly muscle :rolleyes: Got here by eating at 8am,1030am,1pm,330pm,6pm,9pm and 12am everyday 3 decent meals a day then healthy snacks at other time oh and plently
of weight training 3/4 times a week, be warned it does take years and a lot of hard work/dedication.

Before working out

After working out
[URL=http://imageshack.us]

Back
Top Bottom