Monthly rent for students

beh

beh

Associate
As said, depends where in York. If your near (ish) campus, its a nice house, and includes bills I'd say thats a reasonable deal.

Soldato
£70p/w isn't too bad. At the moment I'm paying £135p/w for a self contained flat within a student accommodation building. Last year I had to pay £82p/w for probably the smallest, worst, and ugliest UPP approved accomodation.

Soldato
OP
gumbald said:
If the OP tells me where in York I'll be able to give him a better idea :) We found they could vary hugely...

It's on the Hull Road, equidistant from uni and town. From the replies so far it seems as though the landlord isn't being unreasonable. Looks like I'll be getting a part time job next year! :p

Man of Honour
Paying £50 per week excluding bills in Birmingham at the moment, though my new house I'll be paying £78 per week including bills, but it's a hell of a step up compared to the box room I'm living in at the moment.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
£65~70pppw for a detached 6 bed in West Bridgford, just outside Nottingham city centre. Excluding bills, which we all put £30/pppm into a joint account.

This covers:

Gas - £320pq
Electricity - £270pq
Water - £200 every 6months
Internet - £35/pm
TV Licence - Whatever that was, had to pay that up front. Don't even use the damn thing.

Associate
I'm only paying £60 a week (might even be less, not settled yet but £60 is tops). That's in Heslington for a 3 bed place. That doesn't include bills though.

Soldato
£50-60 a week each in swansea. I know people that pay £70-100 a week in places like southampton :eek:
£70 a week for a brand new falt is probably a good deal tbh, bet its a lot nicer than other poeples houses for that price

Soldato
Mulder said:
Hi there.

We're sorting out our accommodation for next year and have been asked to pay £70/week (excluding bills) for a brand new, four bedroom flat with all the bells and whistles. To us, that seems very expensive for York.

I'm interested to see what other students' opinions are on this. Is it a reasonable cost? How much are you paying and where abouts are you?
I pay £80 a week for a on-suite bedroom, 5 mins from uni in Lincoln

Man of Honour
currently £107 a week all inclusive, student halls in South Kensington.

Next year looking at £140 a week, hopefully inclusive in central London.

You guys in other places really shouldnt be complainging about the rent you pay.

We get awful flats and pay premium for the location which is brutal really.

Spose its the con because studying in London is amazing.

Associate
£68 all included in Loughborough this year, NTL still havent decided us to charge us for the net though yet. £78 in Nottingham next year bills not included.

Associate
in halls i paid £70 a week for a room!
accomodation at the hospital is roughly £105 a month for students, but it is truly awful. i can't even describe how bad it is!
in birmingham there were usually posters asking for an extra house member, and you could get a place within walking distance of uni for abut £60 a week inclusive of all bills.
looking at renting in southampton soon, and looks to be about £500pcm for a 1 bed flat... eek!

like everyone says, it usually depends on the area, whether it is furnished / unfurnished etc..

Associate
MickeyFinns said:
currently £107 a week all inclusive, student halls in South Kensington.

Next year looking at £140 a week, hopefully inclusive in central London.

You guys in other places really shouldnt be complainging about the rent you pay.

We get awful flats and pay premium for the location which is brutal really.

Spose its the con because studying in London is amazing.

Where did you come from originally?, only been a few times myself for weekends but i've allways found it a little too 'busy' for my liking, the mish mash of cultures, ridiculously high numbers of students due to the number of different uni's etc in close proximity would make it harder in my mind to make friends etc as there's often too many distractions in a city full of tourists etc.

I'd say its different if you have an actual career in London since your being paid a weighted wage, i just dont see the point in paying London prices to study any subjects really as they could be studied anywhere really.

I did Consider London albeit Thames valley so would be interested in how London students are doing and how its working out.

Permabanned
I pay £70/week, for a nice place in Newcastle. That's the upper end of average around here.
London far exceeds that, don't worry about yours!

Back
Top Bottom