Can I install vista in ubuntu from a DVD (and how)

Associate
before i build my new pc i thought i'd try the virtualisation stuff (seen a vid on youtube)

so i have my vista DVD and i have feisty fawn installed

can i install it into ubunru - and if s how do i do it?

many thanks

Diss

Associate
Yes it's possible. You need to install VMWare first, then you can create a VM and install Vista into the VM.

Don't have directions to hand, might dig some up and come back later, but you should find support via Google.

Associate
OP
ByteJuggler said:
Yes it's possible. You need to install VMWare first, then you can create a VM and install Vista into the VM.

Don't have directions to hand, might dig some up and come back later, but you should find support via Google.

thanks

i'll have a look - though had already tried googling with no luck

900i - i'll have a look at that as well - though a quick look at their HOWTO don't seem to cover installing in a VM from a DVD - maybe this is not possible??

thanks all

Diss

Associate
OP
hi

i found this:
http://www.theeldergeekvista.com/vista_in_vmware_virtual_machine.htm

is this what i want - is it talking about installing from an 'install DVD', or a ghost image DVD of an already installed system, or something else?

also what 'exactly' do i need installed - at the moment i have vmware player but not vmware server - i think i need the server version but it then uninstalls the player version

thanks for the help

Diss

Associate
OP
hi

i have made a lot of progress:

* installed virtualbox
* created iso image of vista
* set up vm in vitualbox
* installed vista :)

the bad news is i am not sure how to set up the network adapter in virtualbox - as in vista there is no network (or drivers) set up. (i.e. vista can't see that any network hardware is attached at the moment

the screen gives me these options:

Adapter0
ATTACHED to:
NAT or Host Interface - WHICH SHOULD I CHOOSE?

it then has a box for a MAC address and a button to generate a number - WHAT DO I DO HERE? should i input the MAC of my router - or is this setting a mac for vista?

thanks

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Yeah, a clause in the EULA prevents users from running Vista in a virtual machine/mode :o

Associate
OP
thx

but if i use that option there are boxes for:
interface name
setup application
terminate application

the last 2 allows you to browse for a file or something - drivers??

any idea what i should input?

thanks

Diss

Back
Top Bottom