hedge cuttings, loads of em

Permabanned
ive got a row of conifers across the front of my house and down the side which i havnt cut since moving in 3 years ago

so today, due to having no work on and good weather i decided to trim the hedge/bush

what a nightmare. started at 9 just finished 6 pm. i wrestled my chain saw on top of a 5ft step ladder the chain came off 6 times ended up snapping it so had to drive 10 miles for a new one, preety dangerous stuff really :eek:

but i escaped with all my limbs working the problem now is about 4 transit van loads of hedge clippings and branches

has anyone got any advise on how to dispose?

i thought burn em but the neigbours might complain as i live in an end terraced and theres gardens all around me, not to mention it would prolly take about 3 days to burn them

thanks in advance

Soldato
Have you not got a garden waste bin, you can put things like that in them. If theres a lot you could do it over a few weeks or load the car up and take them to the council dump where theres a great big bin to put garden waste in for them to recycle.

Commissario
webmonkeyuk said:
i think the local council tip/refuse facility would be the best bet,might take you a few trips though

Yup, assuming you don't have room to compost/burn them (warning, hedge trimmings burn exceedingly well in my experience, even when green due to the sap), then the local tip is probably the best bet.

They may query why so much if multiple car loads, in which case just give them the truth, you trimmed a bunch of extremely overgrown hedges :)
Our local tip staff are extremely helpful and understanding if you're honest and open about why you're making your third/forth/fifth trip of the day (as long as you don't do it every day;)).

Commissario
knip said:
Have you not got a garden waste bin, you can put things like that in them. If theres a lot you could do it over a few weeks or load the car up and take them to the council dump where theres a great big bin to put garden waste in for them to recycle.

if it's anything like round here, and he's got even half as much as we had (when we trimmed our front hedge by a foot or so), it would take about 2 months to clear that way, longer if he cuts his grass etc :) (we can fill our green bin almost every fortnight during the summer, just with general weeding/grass cutting).

Permabanned
OP
Werewolf said:
if it's anything like round here, and he's got even half as much as we had (when we trimmed our front hedge by a foot or so), it would take about 2 months to clear that way, longer if he cuts his grass etc :) (we can fill our green bin almost every fortnight during the summer, just with general weeding/grass cutting).

theres about 4 large transit loads (imagine a large transit full to the roof where you have to shove the backdoors to get them to shut) i wouldnt be suprised if it was 40 cubic meters

i took 2 foot of the hieght taking it down to 7 foot, and cut it back 18 inches front and back its about 8 meters long

basically theres **** loads of it

it would fill 3 large sized skips and there £80-90 each, it would be about 30 car loads to the tip

im thinking i'll have to see if i can find someone with a large pick up

email me in trust if anyone knows any body around stafford area

cheers

Permabanned
OP
kingo15 said:
yeah borrow or hire a chipper bag it up sell it.

great idea i might just do this :D

i'll just cover my back garden in em as its like the surface of the moon where my dog has dug holes and ripped all the grass out

any ideas on hire prices?

Soldato
Either hire or buy a shredder, you can shred all the greenery & quite a lot of smaller branches, the one we got from Wicks is a silent crusher shredder & its brilliant, dont need to go to the tip anymore, just mulch the garden with the shreddings :D

Associate
I did this and burnt the lot at my old place. Lived in a small village. Couple of things happened :

- the flames ended up being ~20ft high
- set fire to a hedge that was ~15-20ft away
- caused so much smoke people were driving through the village with full headlights on
- singed all the leaves on neighbours apple trees

Anyway, since then I learnt you could do the following with Leylandii cuttings.

a) leave them over the summer to dry out and turn brown. They hardly produce any smoke then. Then you can burn them a bit at a time.
b) take them to an eco refuse place. They'll take greens and slap them on a big pile. Try calling up your council to find out where it is.
c) or you could chip them, good for adding acidity to soil from what I remember

But it has to be said....

Leylandii = devilspawn

Richie.

Suspended
Burn them. Just cut doown a few conifers, tried shredding them but it takes days, and you can't shred the larger branches.

Burning a pile about 6' high x 20' x 12' took less than half a day.

Permabanned
OP
Usher said:
Either hire or buy a shredder, you can shred all the greenery & quite a lot of smaller branches, the one we got from Wicks is a silent crusher shredder & its brilliant, dont need to go to the tip anymore, just mulch the garden with the shreddings :D

some of the cuttings are more like branches 1-2 inches diameter, would your wikes chipper deal with them?

how much was it btw?

Soldato
stinka said:
some of the cuttings are more like branches 1-2 inches diameter, would your wikes chipper deal with them?

how much was it btw?

It cost £90, takes up to about 1.5 inch, worth buying if you have a lot of garden
cuttings on a regular basis

Associate
I'm a keen shredder personally :D . I bought a second hand one on the bay and regularly shred as much garden waste as possible. A leylandii hedge we have is a nightmare as the leaves don't compost well unless mixed with plenty of grass clippings.

My advice would be to strip the larger branches (>1") and pile them up for later burning. Shred everything else, pile it up, put the hose in it and compost it. If you can get the pile big enough it should get quite hot and rot down quickly.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Oh dear haha.

I did the same thing once.. best bet (now) is to keep on top so you don't have to endure the same fiasco all over again.

As for the trees..don't go down in a van if it has markings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom