Virgin Media Speed Upgrades: FAQ

Soldato
"unlikely" but not impossible. Read what I have said. I see so many people saying:

"Poor service xxxx you can't do xxxx"

Week later...they change their bleeding edge nic and voila it works. Also - same with routers.

Gav

Gav

Associate
try reading the virgin media support forums then you will know the true extent of the problem. There is nothing wrong with either my modem, router or nic they are all working fine. I get full speed across my home network and that is 5x the speed of my 20mb connection. The problems began on 1/5/07, the same day that the 20mb service was activated in my area. NO-ONE is getting a decent connection through VM at present. The simple fact is that their network cannot support the new speeds. In the race to compete with the ever increasing speed claims made by SKY etc... they have released a service which is simply not working...

Soldato
No one?

I'll forget the guy I know who's getting full 20mb, or me who's getting full 10mb.

Nevermind. You obviously aren't going to listen and yes I do read the support groups - that's why I'm telling you to do what I've mentioned.

Caporegime
hold on whats all this NIC talk? i use my asus p5b deluxes on board lan so am i okay? my router is a Linksys WRT54GS, also got a asus p5ne-sli, and some other asus board for my x2 setup, all of them just use their built in lan

Gav

Gav

Associate
Robert said:
No one?

I'll forget the guy I know who's getting full 20mb, or me who's getting full 10mb.

Nevermind. You obviously aren't going to listen and yes I do read the support groups - that's why I'm telling you to do what I've mentioned.

try reading my post.

everything was great UNTIL they upgraded my UBR to 20Mb. After that it fell apart. I didn't have a problem with the 10Mb service. I would love to see results from someone who is getting a full 20Mb service 24/7

Man of Honour
We were on 10mbit when it first came out, went down to 4mbit as I never really used it, then changed to VIP package which is 10mbit again. I used to get flat out 1.25mb/sec but since going back on I can only get 3-5mbit (500k/s max), which is odd. I've spoken to support briefly over the newsgroups, who couldn't find any problem with the signal levels etc :(

Going to see if the new modem helps at all, could be the 4100 on the blink.

Associate
Duke said:
We were on 10mbit when it first came out, went down to 4mbit as I never really used it, then changed to VIP package which is 10mbit again. I used to get flat out 1.25mb/sec but since going back on I can only get 3-5mbit (500k/s max), which is odd. I've spoken to support briefly over the newsgroups, who couldn't find any problem with the signal levels etc :(

Going to see if the new modem helps at all, could be the 4100 on the blink.

traffic shaping 4 meg max during peak hours, i had this since start of year

Associate
xgeek said:
Virgin have released their 20Mbps compatible modem list today:-
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html

If you are on the XL package and your modem is not supported they will send you out a free one. Just ordered a new modem as my SB4100 in not compatible.

Just received my replacement modem today. I was sent a Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR EPC2100R2 hardware version 2.1. In the box was a pre-paid special delivery envelope for the return of my SB4100.

Now all I need is the 20Mbps update in my area :)

Man of Honour
Got my webstar the other day as well. They were meant to be pap but could have been an older model? Seems good so far & my speed is back upto what it should be now anyway.

Permabanned
I can get max speeds from midnight to 4pm it does go abit slow round 6pm but thats because people are still hamering the 20 meg connection for 3gig of data

Soldato
DailyGeek said:
Where from mate? I'm presumably on the same bit of network as you but I can't seem to get a decent download speed from anywhere. Even blueyonder usenet peaks at about 1350kbps

I'm in Strood, top of the hill mate. To be honest, the speed is fluctuating at the moment..i have an old 4100 Surfboard modem and the lights on it are going mental...internet is still working, speeds on newsgroups for example range from about 1.5mb to 2.1mb a second. The new modem has been requested so that should make things more stable.

What modem do you have, and did you check on the VM website whether it needs upgrading?

Soldato
my upgrade went through yesterday.

tested the blueyonder news server about 6pm i was getting 1500kb/s, wasnt that impressed as i always got 1250kb/s (ish) on 10mb.

tried it after midnight and it was leveling out at 2250-2300kb/s, much better :)

Back
Top Bottom