New project

Associate
New project (now with updates!)

Well I finaly got it in the garage today after 3 weekends of clearing out, and 4 weeks after I bought it.
It's an MK indy, going to be powered by a yamaha R1 engine, limited slip diff, fully adjustable dampners and double wishbone suspension all round, paddle shift etc.
Should weigh in around the 400kg mark and make 160 bhp with a dynojet kit and decent exhaust, that's around 400 bhp/ton
simmialr builds with the ideal ratio diff see 60 in 3.5 to 3.8 seconds
Got the front suspension apart again to paint the front hubs in black rather that silver.
Engine cradle should be here this week, so I can get the supports and brackets welded in.... just gotta save up for the engine now....
indy1.jpg

indy2.jpg

indy3.jpg

Will look something like this when finished...
DSCF0011.jpg

Pez

Last edited:

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Impressive. Very impressive. How much do you think the end cost will be. And no. of man hours? Any welding involved?

Associate
I really wanted to start some sort of Car project my self but need some space to be able to do in it. Looks like a good start thou and i bet once its finished your be loving the 0-60 speed. Good luck and i hope it all goes well

Associate
OP
Impressive. Very impressive. How much do you think the end cost will be. And no. of man hours? Any welding involved?

I bough it part built off ebay for £970 which saved me about 700 quid over MK's starter kit price, it also came with an 1800 zetec,gearbox and bellhousing which i've since sold.
So far i've spent £1200, next major outlays are the engine (about a grand) exhaust system (300) dampners and springs (350)
Reckon i'm looking at 4-5k all told to get it on the road, which for something with super car acceleration and track proven handling is damn good!

Soldato
Problem is Pez, no matter how light you make the car, you've still got half a tonne of metal in your face slowing you down pal. 0-60 in 2 weeks at least when you're driving her. ;)

Soldato
Can I just ask how much of a job will this be, in terms of technical ability needed. I ask because a friend of mine has his engine off his written off Bandit650s, the bike itself is a cat B write off so he cant put it back on the road, but the engine still works so we are planning on putting it in a go-cart of similar.

I just wondered if you could tell me how you get the controls from the motorbike engine (clutch and gear shift) to work in a car format.

Many thanks for any help :)

Associate
OP
Problem is Pez, no matter how light you make the car, you've still got half a tonne of metal in your face slowing you down pal. 0-60 in 2 weeks at least when you're driving her.
shut it ya codeye :p

That diff looks to be an open diff from a drum brake sierra, I'd swap it for one from a 2.0XR4x4 nice 3.92:1 with LSD

That's the plan, or just buy the diff it'self and convert the spline shafts to lobro joint bolt on jobbies.

Can I just ask how much of a job will this be, in terms of technical ability needed. I ask because a friend of mine has his engine off his written off Bandit650s, the bike itself is a cat B write off so he cant put it back on the road, but the engine still works so we are planning on putting it in a go-cart of similar.

Well you can buy chassis kits specificly for bike engines of all sorts.
I've never realy done anything like this before so it's not overly technical lol
wiring's the only thing i'm not looking forward to.
Clutch works off a cable same as it would in any car (unless it was hydraulic)
Gear shift you can either knock up a push/pull rod system or use cables again. I'm planning some sort of pushrod system to use with paddles behind the steering wheel.

Soldato
Cheers for the info, I think we are trying to have the pedals setup just like a car and a gear shift system which will operate like a rally car, push for up and pull for down. Its going to be a slow process for us as we dont have much spare cash or time, but the end result should be pretty interesting. We arent wont have any wires to worry about as its purely man and machine with this one, only for use on a track.

Associate
OP
finally picked up an engine this evening!
998cc 11000rpm goodness :D
Can get on with some more at last.
Brake pipes and drivetrain is all finished and in place now, just the engine cradle to weld in and I can get the plumbing and wiring done :)

Back
Top Bottom