Sky+ installation question!

Associate
They normal upgrade your current LNB to a new one which has 4 outlets.
Sky + will use 2 connections and you can connect a third for your second box for freeview as I have :D

Associate
ElectroBlaster said:
Sounds good :D

So you mean they even replace the dish?
I want them to leave the current lead in place aswell, I plan to extend that into the bedroom so our current box will stay on freeview

The Sky installer will generally do the bare minimum to get the job done. If your old dish is Ok it won't get replaced. You will get a quad LNB with a new double feed for the Sky+. They will also leave the existing feed if you ask them. If you want extra cable and for your "freeview" box to be relocated a bribe is the normal form. If you take multi-room it will be included.

Last edited:
Associate
Rather than make a new thread, we are thinking about getting sky+ but i need to know a few things:

Can you watch another sky channel whilst recording a sky channel?

How much does it cost, can you get it cheaper or free if you ring up and threaten to cancel sky or any other ways?

Are there any further charges on top of normal sky subscription?

Thank you

Soldato
ICE Master said:
Rather than make a new thread, we are thinking about getting sky+ but i need to know a few things:

Can you watch another sky channel whilst recording a sky channel?

How much does it cost, can you get it cheaper or free if you ring up and threaten to cancel sky or any other ways?

Are there any further charges on top of normal sky subscription?

Thank you

Sky+ has two decoders so one channel can be recorded whilst another is being watched (or two channels can be recorded simulataneously). If recording two channels then one has to be watched, or another recording can be played back if required.

Sky+ subscription is £10 extra, or free if a full premiun channel subscription is taken out, though there are rumours that Sky may be cancelling the fee in the near future.

Soldato
OP
The fee has already been dropped afaik. We were initially on a £15 a month package and before that a 12month contract which ran its course a few months back. In the end we decided that £15 a month would be better spent on other things and we cancelled and changed the card to freeview. last weekend we got two phone calls from sky asking us our reasons why we left and some stuff about a survey, then later that night we got another call asking if we would like sky+ installed for nowt with the £10 extra fee waivered, but we had to re-instate the old £15 package we had. The thing is I was going to pay out for a dual-lnb anyway so now we dont have to fuss about getting an engineer to install it and paying over the odd's :)

Soldato
ICE Master said:
thanks for your responses another Q:

What size hard drive has the sky+ box got?

80GB when I got mine in Nov, but I think they are giving out 160GB ones now? I may be wrong though.

Soldato
ElectroBlaster said:
Its 160gb afaik but only 80hours is available. Does anyone know what model box they are using at the moment? I have heard rumours its a Thomson of some kind?

That would be the Thomson PVR3.

Soldato
ElectroBlaster said:
Its 160gb afaik but only 80hours is available. Does anyone know what model box they are using at the moment? I have heard rumours its a Thomson of some kind?

I upgraded to sky+ on thursday - got a thomson pvr3 even though the night before when the guy called he said it would be an amstrad as i asked if i could have a pace - if you can follow all that :D

So it seems to be pot luck - although he did say at one point i was down for a refurb box (probably as i was getting it for nothing , having phoned up and threaten to cancel after the changes to the movies and rediculous pin changes they have put on there) so maybe he meant the amstrad was gonna be a refurb but he was kind enough to give me a new box instead. .

And so far the thomson has been fine haven't even heard the hard drive or fans that people mention - and it seems they have sorted out the problems with sky anytime and the thomsons as well at least for the pvr3 boxes as that appeared fine in the menus the following day.

Soldato
Kipper67 said:
And so far the thomson has been fine haven't even heard the hard drive or fans that people mention - and it seems they have sorted out the problems with sky anytime and the thomsons as well at least for the pvr3 boxes as that appeared fine in the menus the following day.

Mine still spins up, but not as much as it used too.

Soldato
OP
Im a little peeved guys... The sky bloke came out today and fitted the quad lnb no problems but when it came to the sky+ box itself he dished out an amstrad and insisted it was new... I did question this and he wouldnt budge on it. Im also peeved too find the box only records 40hours and he kinda went angle when I told him I was ment to get a pvr3 and started to act like somebody was telling me porkys. I wrote everything the sky advisor said to me on the 27th and it clearly stated I was down for a thomson pvr3 so where is it?

Skys tech dept reckon only SkyHD has an 80hour recording option and btw my sky+ recording feature wasnt enabled even tho the installer told me to phone sky up if it didnt activate after two hours. Im kinda feeling I was duped today :(

Soldato
All "freeview" aside.

What box would you recommend for a "freeview" box to pick up all those little extra "freeview" channels? I got sky + atm just would like to get some more channels in my den but don't wanna stump up for multiroom.
(Sorry to hijack, just doesn't seem a question worthy of its own thread)

Back
Top Bottom