• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

power for a 8800 gts?

Associate
as my name says, just bought a new 8800gts oc2 from bfg. the power requirements seem to vary quite a bit, their webpage says ~30A on the 12V rail, in these forums you find numbers which are much lower, that's why i'm confused now. :confused:
fact is i have an old psu (not 2.0 compilant i think) with 360W and it says 17A on the 12V rail. i have only 1 hd and 1 dvd and a amd 4000+ san diego.
is this enough for running the gts? since it fails to boot after the windows splash screen. but i just want to make sure it's the psu before i go out and buy a new one.
thx

Soldato
I am running a BFG 8800GTS OC on a Antec purepower 380w PSU with twin 16a 12v rails without a hitch.

However I don't have much in my pc (ie only one HD, one Optical drive)

I would imagine in your case the problem is the psu as it only has one 12v rail and has to split it between the gpu and other components.

Soldato
geforceuser said:
360W and it says 17A on the 12V rail
Sorry mate but that PSU is just not going to be good enough at all. ):

The 30A @ 12V is actually pretty spot on, I wish more manufacturers would print those kinds of requirement instead of a silly "500W PSU recommended!" thing that is totally inaccurate.

oweneades said:
I would imagine in your case the problem is the psu as it only has one 12v rail
Bingo.

Associate
OP
well to be precise, my psu does not have an 6pin power plug for the gts, so i had to use an adapter which connects 2 molex plugs to one 6pin. i have 3 separate molex cables, 2 of them i used for this adapter. but anyway thanks, seems like its time for a new psu then :(
just wanted to make sure that its the psu, since i replaced the mobo and the cpu aswell, so lots of possible error sources :o
cheers

Back
Top Bottom