A couple from yesterday

Associate
Went to the Raptor Foundation near Huntingdon yesterday for my Falconry Day. Despite have a crap cold, coming back looking like a lobster and having my thumb crushed by a Eagle Owl (see below) I had a great day. We were made to feel very welcome by the staff (and the birds).

I didn't take many pictures because I was too busy handling the birds and flying them in the displays but managed to get a couple. All these pictures were taken with the Sigma 17-70 and its the first time that I haven't needed to sharpen my images after processing them! :D

1 & 2) Ziggy 6lbs of Eagle Owl! I was walking round the centre with her on my arm and by the time I got to put her down my arm was falling off! She also got a grip on my thumb through the thick leather glove and proceeded to crush and boy did it hurt - though I was assured that if she wanted she would have crushed it fully!!

rap2.jpg

rap3.jpg

3) Sweep. Tiny little Owl (can't remember the breed now) no higher than 6 inches tall but boy did it have a temper!! Owls clack their beaks when they are unhappy and he was clackiing like a good un. The clack is surprisingly loud for something so small.

rap1.jpg

4) A Falcon of somesort, possibly the Lanner.

rap4.jpg

Man of Honour
There was a picture of a stuffed owl and someone put "O RLY?" on the bottom of it. As in "oh really?", it's quite funny but has got very old and boring. Just reminded me of it :D Google it if I'm being an idiot and not explaining enough.

Associate
OP
messiah khan said:
How did you manage to miss that whole O RLY thing? http://www.orlyowl.com/

Great shot btw. Love the colours of the first owls eyes. :)

I miss a lot of things! The wife thinks its my age! :rolleyes:

I wanted to get the macro out on it but when I started to get close, she hissed at me so I backed off and put it away! You don't mess with 6lbs of Eagle Owl!

Associate
OP
They were beautiful birds but unfortunately the backgrounds can't be helped. Although there is an open place where they fly the birds, you can't always get the birds there!

Back
Top Bottom