My daughter - Processing Opinions

Associate
I was mucking around with my daugter and the camera today using the 50mm f1.8 Pentacon. I prefocussed it and was holding it at arms length with her in my lap and managed to get this one. I quite like the expression and was after some processing advice. (excuse the food on her cheek, just seen it when posting!! :D )

Full Size Linky

Original

pa1.jpg

My meagre attempt. Just played abit with the curves in PS but that is pretty much where my experience ends!

pa2.jpg

Associate
OP
It does look abit too dark, but it does bring the blue out in her eyes.

I am never sure about the colours and contrast in mine as my monitor is not that great and uncalibrated. I probably should buy one of those spyders. Although I am trying to match it up to a test print I have from Photobox.

Whenever I use Adobe Gamma or another third party software calibration it always makes everything seem washed out, so I have given up with those and am using test prints instead!

Soldato
Adjusting the curves slightly, increased saturation (+7), decreased lightness (-3) and auto contrast.

I started with Khan's image though, not the original.

Soldato
I've had a quick go and came out with a very similar one to the version you posted in the OP. IMO, that's a pretty good attempt. Perhaps you could reduce the red colouration of her lips just a little, as the saturation increase has made these a bit bold. Maybe a bit of contrast / shadows tweaking, but not much. Other than that, not too much I would add, really - it doesn't want to start looking un-natural.

Soldato
Raikiri said:
Adjusting the curves slightly, increased saturation (+7), decreased lightness (-3) and auto contrast.

I started with Khan's image though, not the original.

Thats it, make me do all the hard work, then take the glory for it! :mad: :p I recon thats the best one though Raikiri. Its got he right balance of detail and exposure.

Soldato
Raikiri said:
You knows it :cool:

/Completely off topic - You think a D40 w/ lens for £240 is worth it?

Yes, very much so. But the price you quoted for the D40x is even more worth it imo.

AndyBorzi said:
LOL, what did you do Messiah to make your image?

Loads of fiddling in Lightroom. Upped the black levels, upped contrast, upped saturation, upped recovery(reduces white levels), reduced dark levels. Added slight vignetting. I then moved it into photoshop and dodged and burned a few bits, mainly around the eyes. I also added a slight bit of sharpening.

Soldato
ok thought I might as well have a play too as everyone else is :)

babyforocukcopyan1.jpg

I took the two original pictures from the op and did an overlay of the darker one over the lighter one, then used the multiply layer tool (80% opacity, 75% fill iirc). After that I just did a little adjustment in the curves to bring up the dark area behind the girl and also to bring down the highlights a little. Was aiming more for getting the energy/life of the girl across :)

EDIT: did a slight adjustment again on the curves for a more natural sort of colouring to the image.

babyforocuk2of4.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
rakiri's is the best efforts from my eye, but i think you need to heal some of the redness out of her cheeks, make them a little bit rosyier, and heal the shadows around her smile creases. Will make a more pleasant picture.

Associate
OP
Thanks all for your efforts. I am now at work with an even more crappier monitor but I will take all your comments and hints, and see if I can work out how to do them in PS!!

I am not very adventurous in PS, just a levels and curves adjustment with a bit of USM as and when are all that I really know. I should really play more but time and real life get in the way!

Back
Top Bottom