best mp3 player to get at the moment?

Associate
after an mp3 player, want it to be about 8gb+, be able to fit into a trouser pocket without being too bulky. Have a good interface to put and take songs on/off, replacable battery capability would be great too. Most of all have a good sound.

price wise I wouldnt want to spend more than £150.

Cheers.

Associate
Got a Creative Zen Vision M 30gb from for £135 a few weeks ago, fits in my pocket just fine but a little bulkier than the equivalent ipod.
Good player though and its damn good for video as well, can throw divx and xvid files onto it without having to convert them first, not sure if its exactly what your after but its worth a look.

Associate
It does look good, but for that money the creative offers a ridiculous amount more on the storage front. Id rather spend a little more for a 30gig player tbh.
The Sony does look like it better fits the OPs needs though.

Permabanned
Wouldn't trade my iPod Video 30GB for anything else on the market at the moment.

Mine was £125 (about 250 dollars) with a leather case from BestBuy in Florida.

Soldato
i fit a 80gb ipod + Xin supermicro IV headphone amp in my jeans pocket no problem, any modern player is thin enough not to be a problem.

you're better off going to a shop and trying some out, they all have vastly different sounds.

if you're going to use cheap'ish headphones don't get an ipod, the sound is pretty neutral/flat compared to the irivers/cowons which have a more boosted or booming sound.

it's hard to single out a *BEST* player , too many variables.

Soldato
I've gone from a Sony NWA3000 to a Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB to a Microsoft Zune

And I have to say by far the Zune is the best

Good Points
The software is great it doesnt crash like itunes.
The firmware runs so smooth and fast.
The video quality is very good better than a creative zen or ipod video.
There isnt any start up lag and the video player doesnt take ages to load either.

Soldato
Cowon D2 hands down it beats the rest!

it can be had for £160 with 4gb memory and a 4gb sd card (which you can buy more for. has touchscreen and very vivid pictures, can play videos, radio, music, record of radio.

10/10!

Soldato
Sinny said:
Cowon D2 hands down it beats the rest!

it can be had for £160 with 4gb memory and a 4gb sd card (which you can buy more for. has touchscreen and very vivid pictures, can play videos, radio, music, record of radio.

10/10!

I mostly use Flash players in my pocket - with my sony NW-S705 Im able to change tracks, change albums, play pause fast forward and rewind, volume and even different EQ settings without looking at or taking out of my pocket.... can you do that with a touchscreen?

Soldato
I notice the Ipods are never really recommended in these threads, any reason?

Just asking as I have an 8GB Nano, is there something wrong with them? :confused:

Soldato
Vegetarian said:
I mostly use Flash players in my pocket - with my sony NW-S705 Im able to change tracks, change albums, play pause fast forward and rewind, volume and even different EQ settings without looking at or taking out of my pocket.... can you do that with a touchscreen?

all except change the eq:)does that make the s705 better than the d2?
Tute said:
Just asking as I have an 8GB Nano, is there something wrong with them? :confused:
nothing wrong with them, its just that other players do things better for similar money:)

Soldato
Tute said:
I notice the Ipods are never really recommended in these threads, any reason?

some people revel in being anti apple :p

ipod's are great i've got a 8gb nano and a 80gb video but they DO have a pretty flat sound, so like i said if you're not using good headphones or a amp imo they sound terrible until you do.

i liked my cowon/iriver players when i had them but i found once i started using good equipment with them they sounded too synthetic/forward/boomy etc. i actually replaced my iriver h340 with the 80gb ipod and it's far superior even tho i really liked the h340 and it was a good player.

but not everyone spends over £400 on a pair of headphones + portable amp ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom