• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Opteron price reductions effective today!

Soldato
As title really, AMD officially slashed the price on several of their 100/1000 series products, meaning that now the Opty 170 is only $112, do the conversion and VAT etc. and you get a hopeful UK e-tailor price of around £70 inc. VAT.

Dunno if OCUK are still stocking these or if they are gonna show the price reductions at the new price.

Anyway I think these are a good deal for those of you stuck with Skt 939 system on single core with DDR memory. :)

Associate
ginge51 said:
are these optys miles powerfuller then say the x2 dual core 4400 cpu i have now?
Opty 1-series are effectively exactly the same, however they tend to clock much better. My 185 runs nicely at 3GHz, and I'm sure I could up it to 3.2 given some tweaking.

Associate
I know I'd definitely buy a 185 if they came into stock. I'd also get a new cooler as well.

As a kind of final upgrade for my out of favour socket.

Associate
Operton 170 Price £71.69

All, just been looking around for a new Opteron and read the thread, just done quick search and found the 170 for £71.69, is this a good price, (I think so), will I get good bang/buck for my Abit AN8SLi-Fatality and 2Gb DDR400 with modest overclocking, moving from Opty 144 which is starting to struggle although running stock. Have a Zalman cooler to fit.

Ta

Soldato
birelwf said:
All, just been looking around for a new Opteron and read the thread, just done quick search and found the 170 for £71.69, is this a good price, (I think so), will I get good bang/buck for my Abit AN8SLi-Fatality and 2Gb DDR400 with modest overclocking, moving from Opty 144 which is starting to struggle although running stock. Have a Zalman cooler to fit.

Ta
That's not a bad price really. Do you have any idea of the 170s stepping? You'll notice the difference in windows definately, especially when listening to music, surfing, running virus checks etc all at the same time. Overclocking obviously gives a nice boost too and if you get a half decent one, that shouldn't be too hard hopefully :)

Associate
Opteron 170 received today :) and is stepping LCB9E and is retail packaged. Got a really meaty heatsink with copper tubes on it, is this good enough to increase the clock or would I need to use the Zalman.

Soldato
birelwf said:
Opteron 170 received today :) and is stepping LCB9E and is retail packaged. Got a really meaty heatsink with copper tubes on it, is this good enough to increase the clock or would I need to use the Zalman.
I'd use the Zalman though the Opty stock cooler is actually pretty decent supposedly, better than the other stock AMD cooler anyway. What's the rest of the stepping? The newer 07xx ones are supposed to be clocking pretty nicely :)

Associate
Ok will maybe try the stock cooler first and see what I can get before putting in the Zalman. The other stepping is 0704XPMW so is this one of the 'better' ones? ;)

Soldato
Sean_UK said:
Does make you laugh, go have a look at what the 4800+ S939's are fetching on certain auction site 2nd hand, was shocked when i spotted the completed listings. :eek:
Lol, I feel sorry for the poor sods that will actually fork out that much for one when they probably think it's the fastest 939 dual core when it's not :p

@birelwf: That's supposed to be a very good stepping indeed! I saw on another forum that a buy had an Opty 180 with that stepping and he had it 3.1Ghz @ 1.4v :o I hope yours is as good!

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
TBH people could easily sell their 939 cpu/mobo/ram, and buy 2nd hand conroe cpu/mobo/ddr2 ram, for the same price, effectively a free upgrade, what i did anyway :)

Soldato
You can go c2d dual core for £88 and use your ddr memory, cant see why someone would upgrade from a single core to a single core when c2d is a really cheap upgrade now :)

A2Z said:
TBH people could easily sell their 939 cpu/mobo/ram, and buy 2nd hand conroe cpu/mobo/ddr2 ram, for the same price, effectively a free upgrade, what i did anyway :)

Exactly, when my amd64 system died on me, i had two choices, spend 80ish on fixing my single core 939 dead end system, or spend same amout on a dual core c2d, with upgradability options for the future :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah i did the same, sold main PC old build of S939 dual core and currently sitting on the cash for new build when prices drop. :)

El Jimben said:
Lol, I feel sorry for the poor sods that will actually fork out that much for one when they probably think it's the fastest 939 dual core when it's not :p!

To be fair though if (Big if) they got a good chip then it will be up there with the Opty's overclocking wise. Still crazy money though...

Last edited:
Soldato
Camalot said:
You can go c2d dual core for £88 and use your ddr memory, cant see why someone would upgrade from a single core to a single core when c2d is a really cheap upgrade now :)
Who in this thread said they were going from single core to single core? Yeh sure I could upgrade for very little outlay but my system still cuts the mustard at the moment so I'm in no hurry to jump on the Conroe bandwagon just yet :p

Back
Top Bottom