Parents - In here! (or anyone else who fancys sharinig an opinion)

Associate
I dont see why ppl have problems with it having a 2nd hand mattress. Do you think Hotels/hospitals change the mattress everyweek? and you still sleep in them.

Associate
Bought a few 2nd hand items for our daughter of the Bay, people sell stuff in bundles & you can get a ton of clothes & toys for next to nothing. We just chuck out anything we dont like or looks a bit worn. They go through so much stuff in the first year or so dont see any harm.

Soldato
I see no problem with it as long as its in good condition and im guessing it is seems its still £150 and the comparrison with the tv is stupid. People are more likely to spend more money on a tv then they would a bed as they would spend more money on a car then a tv etc.

Caporegime
OP
Vibez said:
I think it's none of your business really

That's why I posted on here which he doesn't browse and not say it to his face. I thought that was obvious

you don't know his situation

Which is what I said earlier.

you haven't seen this exact bed, if it's a minter then why not get it for a bargain, second hand or not does it make any difference?

None. But I know that I would always spend money over my son instead of myself.

It appears you've jumped to the conclusion because he bought his son a second hand bed he doesn't look after him properly
]

What utter tosh! That's got to be the biggest load of tripe that's been said to me on this forum. I never said he was a bad parent, and I'm sure he's not, he's a wonderful person (from what we see at work) and I'm sure he's the same at home.

I wouldn't suggest you say that to him as I'm sure he'd be very angry and offended as I would be if someone was judging how I treat my little boy

I wasn't asking whether I should say to him or not, I asked of others opinions on buying the bed. I would NEVER tell anyone how to parent their child or judge them for it either!

Jeez.

Soldato
Phate said:
Hello all,

A work colleague has just bought a new bed for his son.

He bought it off eBay for £150, he said they are £600 new.

Now I don't know what his financial situation is like but I know that when/if I have kids, like all parents, I will provide the best life possible for them, and unless necessary I certainly won't be buying anything second hand!

I didn't comment to him about buying a bed off eBay, especially for his 6 year old! but what's your opinion of it?

And recently he said he inherited a fair amount of cash (has been asking for advice on 50" tv's and new pc's etc) but yet he bought his 6 year olds bed from eBay!!!

Personally I think it's wrong and he shouldn't be selfish and should have bought the kid a new bed.

What do you guys think?

£450 saving goes towards paying the mortgage,

Get off your high horse.

Soldato
I can't see what the problem is. Sounds like the kid has got a cool and expensive bed on the cheap, I'm sure he gets to use the big 50" TV, too.

Permabanned
Phate said:
Read my posts, it's not brand new.

Bed and Mattress are 3 years old.

When I went to boarding school we had bunkbeds, I seriously doubt they put new beds and mattresses in every year :)
And the boarding fees were huge. When I go to a hotel I doubt they put a new bed and mattress in every time someone books a room. I'd expect clean sheets though :)

Soldato
How old is his son anyway?

I'd see it as an investment in his immune system anyway, not only has he saved money on the bed but in the future wont have to take so many days off work because his son is ill with something hes caught at school. :p

50" TV for playing console games with your son and the coolness factor when his friends come round = win. The're not interested in his bed.

dun

dun

Soldato
If the frame is in good condition I can't see a problem, just give it a good wash when you get it. Personally I wouldn't buy a 3 year old mattress though (or any second hand mattress)

Soldato
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything for my son that was second hand. My son puts a smile on my face every day without exception with his antics, and I wouldn't repay that by buying him something that wasn't shiny and new.

Soldato
Phate said:
I would NEVER tell anyone how to parent their child or judge them for it either!

No, what you'd do is be a coward and discuss what you consider a friends shortcomings with a bunch of random people on a public forum.

Permabanned
eddiemcgarrigle said:
Personally, I wouldn't buy anything for my son that was second hand. My son puts a smile on my face every day without exception with his antics, and I wouldn't repay that by buying him something that wasn't shiny and new.
I'm not sure that you would be teaching him any good lessons that way. In an age when recycling is so important and when landfills are a serious issue and our "throwaway" culture is killing our planet.
There is nothing wrong with second hand things, indeed a lot of older items are far better build quality.
I wouldn't give a baby a second hand car seat or mattress for safety reasons. However I have slept on many beds and mattresses that had many, many previous occupants both in school, rented accomodation, barracks, hotels and so on.
I fully expect to give my younger daughter her odler sisters bicycle, I expect my older daughters toys to be played with by my younger daughter. Why spend the money twice? Why throw away perfectly good items? Why fill more landfill?
I bought my daughter a second hand PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. I buy second hand games for them. I can afford new but I'd rather recycle and save cash on such items myself.

Back
Top Bottom