3 HDD + CD-rom

SYC

SYC

Associate
I've always been under the impression that you can't have a HDD on the same IDE channel as a CD-rom drive.

I found a site that said you could do it these days with the newer systems so I thought give it a go, well I've found that the HDD's all work fine and the CD-rom will read, but it won't recognise blank disks it just locks up and has to be manually ejected and it won't burn disks.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on the subject?

Cheers SYC

Associate
Sounds like an odd problem. CD/DVD drives work fine with hard disks (and have done since double speed cd readers), and like hard disks, you need to set the jumpers on them. If you're building a new machine, the easiest way is to set everything to Cable Select and chuck it in and install the OS (putting the CDRom on the Secondary Channel).

If you have existing drives, you'll have them set up as Masters, so set the jumper on the back to Slave and put it in.

If the drive wasn't installed correctly, I'd expect it not to read at all, but check the jumpers first. Is it correctly identified in device manager or Nero?

Suspended
No problem here, 2 PATA DVD-RW, 1 IDE HD. Can't recall exact master slave config, probably HD is PM, 107 is PS, 111 is SM

Back
Top Bottom