Random PC Total Lockups

Soldato
i got these a few months ago but they seemed to go away and now they have come back to haunt me, it always happens when im playing music/watching something or playing a game with music, my pc will just totally lockup requiring a hard reset, ive ran memtest and done every single test with no errors reported, my gfx seems fine and all my temperatures are fine, i really cant get to the bottom of this, dodgy sound driver? what could it be its driving me nuts!, also when it does freeze the music freezes up totally and loops, sort of like a scratched cd keyboard and mouse dont work its totally dead can someone please help?

Associate
Are you using onboard sound or a sound card?

If you are using a sound card then sometimes the onboard sound can cause conflicts, ideally it needs to be disabled in the BIOS before you even put in your new sound card, and the drivers removed completely.

Soldato
OP
myriad said:
Are you using onboard sound or a sound card?

If you are using a sound card then sometimes the onboard sound can cause conflicts, ideally it needs to be disabled in the BIOS before you even put in your new sound card, and the drivers removed completely.

im using on board with no other sound card's, the lockups also dont happen very often but when the do they can be within minutes of each other

Last edited:
Associate
Is there any IRQ sharing going on with your soundcard or video? It should not matter as windows manages such resources these days, but in my experience put two demanding devices on the same IRQ and you tend to end up with jitters at the very least.

Soldato
OP
lumpeh said:
Is there any IRQ sharing going on with your soundcard or video? It should not matter as windows manages such resources these days, but in my experience put two demanding devices on the same IRQ and you tend to end up with jitters at the very least.

im not sure what you exactly mean, i am also using windows media 11, ive just had a freeze right this second after about 30 seconds of watching a video i skipped half way through and got it,

not sure if this helps or explains anything,

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
BUMP, this happens quite a lot on windows startup my pc will just totally lockup on the log in screen its highly annoying :mad: , anyone have any more ideas to how i can solve this?

Back
Top Bottom