O/Cing MB with 2 IDE ports?

Associate
I am needing a new motherboard that has 2 IDE ports and will allow me to adjust memory voltages and allow me to overclock my C2D processor.

Processor will be C2D 4300 or 6320 which i am hoping to overclock to above 3ghz

Memory will be 4gb ballistix 5300

Most of the recommended boards on the forum only support one ide port on the board.

Alternatively, where can i get some decent pci IDE cards (1 or 2 devices supported per card? )

Associate
Pretty well any Silicon Image 0680-based IDE controller card is a solid choice. You can use either a RAID or standard IDE bios on them and the bios/flasher on their site works with pretty well every 3rd party card based on their chipset that I have ever used.

What is the particular need for the 2 IDE ports?

Associate
OP
I will have an ide optical drive i.e pioneer 112d
and i have three 500gb ide hard drives from my current system that require to go into the new system. Ideally at some point in future, im hoping to have the ide hard drives installed into a NAS setup but not got time for that at the moment.

obviously with one ide port i will be severely limited and overly reliant on pci ide cards or having to swap over to sata drives which will be increased cost for me.

Soldato
I have the same setup of 1 optical drive and 3 IDE harddrives. The Asus P5N-E Sli is a perfect board for it. Very good overclocker and more importantly for your ram you'll be able to unlink your memory so that your cpu can overclock higher without needing your RAM to overclock so much.

There are some troubles with getting all 4 sticks of RAM to work though but it has been done. Just not over your RAMs default speed of 667mhz.

Associate
IDE to sata adaptors are pretty cheap and work pretty poorly in my experience.

Firstly, they didn't fit (had to be filed down). Secondly, they didn't work with my Maxtor 20GB drive. And thirdly, they didn't fit my case (drives fitted transversely)

Though they did come with nice charcoal-grey cables that were the perfect length for more recently purchased drives, so it wasn't a total loss.

Soldato
ASUS P5N-E SLi or Gigabyte N650SLi-DS4 but these are both Nvidia 650i boards so make sure you've read up on these before you choose one over a P965 or P35 based board.

Most of the current E4300's I'm seeing at the moment are very poor clockers so go E6320 if you're serious about the overclocking.

Associate
OP
Yeah ive noticed the E4300 isnt performing as well as the first batches.

I've put an order in for the E6320.

Just need to order the Motherboard, graphics card and memory now.

Permabanned
immy said:
I will have an ide optical drive i.e pioneer 112d
and i have three 500gb ide hard drives from my current system that require to go into the new system. Ideally at some point in future, im hoping to have the ide hard drives installed into a NAS setup but not got time for that at the moment.

obviously with one ide port i will be severely limited and overly reliant on pci ide cards or having to swap over to sata drives which will be increased cost for me.

sell all 3 drives on mm or ebay and buy sata ones?

Associate
You can get a multitude of different adaptors and they have all performed well enough in my experience, in some cases outperforming the IDE sockets. I haven't used any for about a year or so, but mostly used the Abit Serillel jobs. Have no idea if they are still made.

Ah, they make the Serillel 2 ones now, with enhanced compatability:

http://www.abit-usa.com/technology/serillel_new.php good luck finding any though.

Anyway.

Back
Top Bottom