30D Opinions Please

Associate
I took a visit into town today with half a mind to spend a large portion of my first wage packet since university as a reward. I ended up selecting a watch that my parents have bought me as a birthday/graduation present, I'm chuffed with this but Ill move on as its not really relevant in the photography forum, I just had to mention it :D .

Anyway I visited a few camera shops with the intention of upgrading my current bridge camera: Fuji S9500 to an entry level DSLR I have decided on Canon as a brand because out of the 2 manufacturers recommended on here they looked the best to me (don't try and convert me Nikon people :) ). However upon handling the 400D it felt extremely small and my long gangly fingers got in the way of each other during the normal hand-held grip, so I have decided to throw some more money at it and go for the 30D.

So I have come home without a camera but still happy, the advise I was after was basically; looking at the Canon timeline (I forget where) it would appear that the 30D is approaching the end of its lifecycle (correct me if wrong). Would it be worth waiting for a newer model considering I would be happy to do so as I still have my S9500 which is a wicked camera, and what features would this newer model likely contain?

Another Observation that I made; the number of retailers that advertise on their displays with the Canon prices including the Canon rebate is quite high, its very confusing and infuriating.

Thanks for listening hope it wasn't too painfully boring. :D

Associate
Aod said:
40D is coming soon i hear.

Nothing wrong with the 30d at all, i have just purchased one and its a pretty big upgrade from my 350d. There are a lot of rumours about the 40d coming out, im not so sure though, as i would have though there will be other cameras in the range needing an upgrade before the 30d, but having said that as far as i understand canon only usually run cashback on items they are soon going to be replacing, to get those last few sales.

Associate
OP
antc said:
Nothing wrong with the 30d at all, i have just purchased one and its a pretty big upgrade from my 350d. There are a lot of rumours about the 40d coming out, im not so sure though, as i would have though there will be other cameras in the range needing an upgrade before the 30d, but having said that as far as i understand canon only usually run cashback on items they are soon going to be replacing, to get those last few sales.

It will be an even bigger upgrade from what is essentially a suped up compact. It looks like a very nice camera and Im not going to get the newer model for this sort of price anyway and as I have already stretched my budget I think I will purchase before the end of the month.

The guy said that the kit lens isn't much cop, probably sales banter to add-on items, no?

You can donate one of your L lenses to me if you like, Ill even pay the postage you can't say fairer than that!

Soldato
Any xxD (30D etc) camera would certainly be a hell of an upgrade from your bridge camera. Personally, I'm looking to upgrade fairly soon too (from a 350D) to the xxD line, and I will probably wait until the 40D comes out (which is meant to be Sept, I think).

You have a few options as I see it ...

1) Buy a 30D now, you won't be disappointed at all
2) Wait for the 40D and buy a 30D then, when the prices plummet. It'll still be a brilliant camera.
3) Wait for the 40D and buy one of those. It'll start off fairly expensive, but it'll be the best available in that price area.

What the sales assistant said about the kit lens isn't wrong. IMO if you've getting either the 30 or 40D, you'd be better off getting te body only and buying a lens separately.

Associate
OP
Right, thanks for the info I will be taking that onboard. Can anyone recommend a good general purpose lens, I wish to take some shots of: architecture, landscapes and wildlife. I will be investing in further lenses when the funds become available so this lens will be a bit of a stockgap.

Cheers.

Associate
i upgraded from the s9500 to a 20d with a sigma 17-70 lens. the difference from the s9500 is vast mainly better image quality.
the 30d would be a wise choice, body only with a decent lens depending on your budget/needs.

Soldato
The kit lens is actually pretty decent from what i've heard, IQ & sharpness isn't going to match L series glass, but its very capable. The 17-85 USM IS and 70-300mm USM IS will fit the bill for architecture, landscape and wildlife. If your enjoying landscapes, and feel you need something wider get a sigma 10-20mm.

Don't buy from well known photography retailers, they are a complete rip off.

Soldato
Keep your eyes open on this internet thing, I got my 30D + kit lens from a respectable website for £604 inc postage and it qualifies for the Canon £65 cashback.

£539 for a brand new 30D kit , can't argue with that :D

Associate
OP
My intention was to get them to do a price match on the 400D but since that went to pot I will purchase online. More importantly it gave me a chance to feel the cameras I would have been sorely disappointed to have bought the 400D online and found it to be as uncomfortable to hold as I found today.

Associate
The 30D is a superb camera, and by waiting until September for a supposed 40D, you'll miss a summer of excellent photos. Of course, photos from your current camera will be good, but I know I'd regret missing several months of photos from the 30D.

Bear in mind also, that there's been no official Canon word on a successor to the 30D. People can say "40D is coming soon i hear." as much as they want, it's all just guesswork with no factual basis.

If I was in the same position, I'd rate a summer of images higher than an extra megapixel or sensor cleaning. Of course, it's your decision, but the 30D will be an excellent camera whether you buy one now or a year from now. :)

Soldato
I have the 30D, and I can't rant about it enough. It's so damn good, the only time I think I'll ever bother upgrading is if I come into silly amounts of money.

It does everything I need a camera for, and it's sturdy too. Everything you need is there right in front of you. No messing about looking under menus to alter settings.

I've still got volumes of learning to do in the photography area (severely hindered by work and gym :() so I can see this camera lasting me another 2 years easily.

So far I haven't found a flaw with mine, and I haven't had any problems with it either. It's easily the best value for money item I've ever bought (with the exception of my PSP, because I LOVE Loco Roco :D)

Associate
OP
Thanks for all of the information people. I have decided to go for it (a 30D body and a yet to be decided lens). Im just trying to find the best deal if anyone knows of somewhere let me know.

Cheers.

Associate
OP
One last set of question I promise :D :

I have some photos to take of some koi, is it a polarising filter that is needed to reduce the reflection of the water? If so I understand that the circular polarising filters are needed for auto-focussing but what is the thread size on the 18-55mm kit lens? And lastly is it best to get branded filters like hoya or are they all of similar quality?

Associate
MaxPower said:
You can donate one of your L lenses to me if you like, Ill even pay the postage you can't say fairer than that!

Hehehe, just stick a bit of red tape round the end of the kit lens and no one will ever know the difference!! :p

Associate
Just to add my £0.02...

I planned to get a 400D when it came out. I though the handling of the 400D was OK, but got offered a super deal on the 30D, such that the 30D body after cashback was ~ the price of a 400D plus grip. Then got the 17-70 Sigma lens first off, followed by a Canon 70-300 IS and 50mm f/1.8 later on. Have not yet found a photo op this lot hasn't let me capture.

5 months and about 6000 images later I'm still extrememly happy with the 30D and no longer covet rpstewart's 1DmkII (as much... :D )

I bought a Kenko Pro1D circ pola for the Sigma off a retailer on the auction site. £35 delivered and made by Hoya. Same filter from a retailer whom I can't name, under the Hoya brand, £135. Works fine, and has been a bit of a lifesaver as an emergency 2-stop ND on a couple of occasions!

Kit lens is, IIRC, a 58mm thread (lots cheaper for filters than the 72mm on the Sigma) and would also fit the Canon 70-300, which has the same diameter.

As for the 40D, usual Canon renewal cycle is 18 months, putting the 40D release at about September, prob in store by mid-October. Will it be a large step-up from the 30D? I'd guess at 10MP sensor, dust reduction system off the 400D and poss a bit bigger LCD. But this is just my speculation. Not worth swapping my 30D for at this point!!

Associate
OP
I have placed an order now. Now for the cruel long tedious wait while it is delivered on overnight carriage :D .

I will be sure to post some pics as soon as I get accustomed and I'm confident that I will not get slaughtered by criticisms.

Thanks for your help people.

Back
Top Bottom