Struggling with overclock

Associate
Hi, Trying to overclock my E6600 but can't get it above 2.8Ghz :(

To get the above overclock on my Asus P5b Deluxe and Geil PC6400 memory my settings are:-

FSB 310
CPU Volts 1.35
Ram volts 1.85
DDR frequecy can be 775 or 930

Temps are 35deg idle and 55deg underload with current stock cooler which I'll replace soon.

I've tried overclocking with keeping the CPU/RAM voltage on auto as people suggest but can't get above 2.7GHZ (fsb 300) if I do that.

any help would be appreciated :cool:

Soldato
need to know which geil memory you have as some are set to work 1.8-1.9, others prefer a bit more voltage to them.

set the memory at 775 to start, what happens when you try to go above 2.8 will it boot ?

Associate
OP
The memory I have is 3GB (2x1gb & 2x512mb) geil value DDR2 PC6400 Dual channel (5-5-5-15).

If I try to go above 2.8 it wont get to the bios screen and I get no signal out to my monitor and have to switch off the psu to be able to use the C.P.R. facility and gain access to the bios settings.

Associate
try jumping straight to a 400fsb (the tight timings upto 400fsb until strap/latencies change might be causing you some issues).

I would also recommend changing the NB VCORE to 1.45v
Set the memory to 1:1 (which will be DDR2-800)

Bump the VCore to 1.4, this will be around 1.35V under load (VDroop)

let me know how you get on.

Soldato
Mortster said:
try jumping straight to a 400fsb (the tight timings upto 400fsb until strap/latencies change might be causing you some issues).

400fsb would be 3.6ghz, bit extreme dont you think if its having problems at 2.8?

Associate
OP
Mortster said:

Gave those settings a go but no go I'm afraid. Tried varying the vcore and memory too but didn't seem to like thet either but thanks for your suggestion :)

Where do you set the memory ratio. I've just been selecting the frequency from the options as close to 800mhz is this correct.CPUz says my ratio is currently 4:5. I canot find a specific setting in the bios to adjust the ratio :confused:

Back to the drawing board :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Chronictank said:
more volts are needed for the cpu, i hit the wall in a similar place :)
i just set all the stuff to auto and the timings to 5-5-5-12 to remove that as a issue

Yippee, changed my timings as suggested and upped the v core and i'm now running at 3.6GHz. V core is showing 1.44 in cpuz and Asus probe and it's currently sitting at 41 deg idle.

will try orthos to see how stable it is but it's a good start. Hope my load temps aren't too high.

What is too high btw?

thanks for all your suggestions :D

Associate
OP
Can't get orthos stable at the moment fails after about 15 secs :(

Would increasing the vcore stablise things or should I change the memory voltage from auto to 1.9v?

At least everything seems to run in windows but i'd like to get orthos to run for a reasonable amount of time before being happy with the setings.

any help appreciated :D

Soldato
Hawklord said:
Yippee, changed my timings as suggested and upped the v core and i'm now running at 3.6GHz. V core is showing 1.44 in cpuz and Asus probe and it's currently sitting at 41 deg idle.

will try orthos to see how stable it is but it's a good start. Hope my load temps aren't too high.

What is too high btw?

thanks for all your suggestions :D
3.6ghz on stock cooler :eek:
that going be burning hot underload...

TAT http://files.aoaforums.com/F2781-tat.exe

Associate
I would definetly advise upping the VDIMM to 1.90V now.
I presume that AUTO VDimm on the P5b sets 1.8 V (JEDEC standard).

You need to work on the overclock by taking the RAM out of the equation (if you can). Apologies for advising to jump straight to a 400MHz FSB, I thought you had a E6300/6400, but at least you got a POST at 3.60Ghz ! :)

3.6Ghz (for my E6420 anyway) is when the chip starts to require more and more VCORE to stablise, so I think, at this stage, the jump be too great, unless you consider dropping the multiplier from 9 to 8.

Just work on finding stable settings for your RAM at or near to you desired overclock, you can do this by using memory dividers 4:5, 2:3 etc. When you are happy with where your RAM is stable then go back and work on the CPU... good luck !

I can recommend the Thermalright Ultra-120 heatsink btw ! Just fitted mine last week, im getting 35 idle, 56 load (TAT load) at 3.2Ghz

Back
Top Bottom