Hot Fuzz, Extremely Overrated

Soldato
I'm a big admirer of Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright (Since 'We know Where You Live' if anyone remembers that far back) and a Westcountryman and I'm in complete agreement that Hot Fuzz is over rated.

It's patchy, too long and unravels in the final third. Although the climax in the model village is a stroke of genius.

Last edited:
Soldato
Goddamit - I get really angry when people put it along side Shaun of the dead.
Just because a film is "by many of the same people" and "contains many of the same people" doesn't mean that it needs to by all the time compared.
The two films really couldn't have been more different, sure they were both comedies but that is roughly where the similarity ends.

Anyway - rant over.
Loved Hot Fuzz.
Opening five minutes, funny, laughing, this will be good.
Closing five minutes, funny, laughing, sad, I want more!!
Loved it to death - awaiting my DVD to arrive, hopefully in the morning.

Soldato
stoofa said:
Goddamit - I get really angry when people put it along side Shaun of the dead.
Just because a film is "by many of the same people" and "contains many of the same people" doesn't mean that it needs to by all the time compared.
The two films really couldn't have been more different, sure they were both comedies but that is roughly where the similarity ends.

Anyway - rant over.
Loved Hot Fuzz.
Opening five minutes, funny, laughing, this will be good.
Closing five minutes, funny, laughing, sad, I want more!!
Loved it to death - awaiting my DVD to arrive, hopefully in the morning.

I was going to post the same thing about people comparing it to Shaun of the Dead. Why?

Loads of people at my work place compare it, "its not as good" "shauns better" etc. I keep saying to them that like comparing Sixth sense to Die hard.

I enjoyed it. It was a little slow in places but that was only a minor thing. I thought the script was witty, direction fast and stylish and the acting very good. Not a film I could watch every day, like I can do with Bad Boys , but deffinatly one to get out on a weekend. 7.8/10

Man of Honour
Linoge said:
Simon Pegg's mannerisms come straight from Steve Coogan and Alan Partridge. Not that that's a bad thing, but every time I see him on Spaced or in SOTD, he acts how I would expect Alan Partridge/Steve Coogan to act.

It would be nice to see Steve Coogan go down the same route, and make his own films.
God I hope not. He's one of the least funny men in the world.

Soldato
Grrrrr said:
Erm... he's made/been in loads

With the exception of the Parole Officer (which I thought was gash), he hasn't made or written another film. And he's been in the public domain a lot longer than Simon Pegg has. There are rumours that he is doing an Alan Partridge film in the next year or two. He has had bit roles in a few UK made films and more recently in the 'Night at the Museum' film from the states. Apart from that he has not made his mark in the movie world.

Soldato
Gilly said:
There's a reason for that :p

I only really like him for Alan Partridge because I think he's portraying himself in later life. Practice if you will. :D

As for his other stuff.... ermm...no....just no. He should just accept that Alan Partridge was and is the peak of his abilities. I hear he supports a good football team too. ;)

Soldato
lol, i guess u have to have a certain sense of humour to get this film... its quirky. the humour isnt obvious humour but rather, its the way the characters react and deliver their lines. i know some people who will never get this kind of humour. i loved it and as a big pegg fan from spaced and his work in the big nothing and shaun, i was laughing my head off!

Soldato
Quite enjoyed it, more "straight" than SOTD and Simon Pegg's deadpan approach at times almost made it seem like a serious film as much as a comedy.

Some cutting social comment on the state of the UK today, whether it's the police force relocating officers who are doing their job too well or food for thought - how do these sleepy villages stay crime free when towns and cities are full of graffiti?

And the scene where the church spire falls on the journalist was more gruesome than anything in Apocolypto!

Associate
bledd. said:
says the guy who wanted to get a dog when his parents were away :rolleyes:
huh?? :confused:

either my sense of humor is really good and thats not funny, or your sense of humor is really bad and its still not funny :rolleyes:

EDIT:

and i already have a dog?? :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom