virgin is cack

Permabanned
ever since they upgraded like 2 weeks back anything i try to download about 10mins into it'll cut my internet off and i have to turn off pc by plug for 30seconds and turn back on to get workin

wtf is wrong?

Associate
and just to add:

you now have to pay 25p a min for the priveldge of talking to a monkey at tech support with virgin

Commissario
BloodWolf said:
ever since they upgraded like 2 weeks back anything i try to download about 10mins into it'll cut my internet off and i have to turn off pc by plug for 30seconds and turn back on to get workin

wtf is wrong?

That sounds like a faulty modem or nic...probably the modem cannot cope with the new speed or is generally dying.

re the call cost, i think that comes in next month and is meant to be refunded (as a credit to your bill) if it turns out it's a problem with Virgin's equipment (rather than your PC).

Soldato
BloodWolf said:

wtf is wrong?
Mine does that, REALLY annoys the hell out of me. The activity light just stays on permenantly and I have to turn the modem off (at wall or unplug power) for 30 seconds then plug it back in, and "normally" it works again, sometimes not :( Asked for a new modem too, but tech support said I don't need one :/

Permabanned
OP
ummm i dunno if its my moedm, i got one of those new small blue ones, 250 i think.

ive used it for like 1 year, a update comes and No swearing! it all up

Commissario
the thought that just occurs to me (i've got the same modem).

Are you using any form of torrent client?
If so turn down the number of allowed connections - too many can cause problems with modems and routers.

Permabanned
OP
Liverpool-Lad said:
Do you reboot the PC or modem to get it back online?

Everything, off by plug for around 30 seconds.

Werewolf said:
the thought that just occurs to me (i've got the same modem).

Are you using any form of torrent client?
If so turn down the number of allowed connections - too many can cause problems with modems and routers.

Umm I use uTorrent, but I wasnt using it at the time. I was downloading the files for Ashen Empires.

Soldato
BloodWolf said:

wtf is wrong?

if you have to turn off your pc, then at a guess its the pc thats at fault

Commissario
kibblerok said:
if you have to turn off your pc, then at a guess its the pc thats at fault

That is actually a good point.

Bloodwolf, have you tried just turning the PC off?
Also are you connecting to the modem via ethernet or usb?

Also what is the PC spec (iirc nvidia motherboards often have some "fun" if you use the firewall part of the nic/chipset drivers).

Soldato
flibby said:
Mine does that, REALLY annoys the hell out of me. The activity light just stays on permenantly and I have to turn the modem off (at wall or unplug power) for 30 seconds then plug it back in, and "normally" it works again, sometimes not :( Asked for a new modem too, but tech support said I don't need one :/
They said i didn't need one but i heard from others that i did and i was not getting my full speed so i just told them it would not power up at all and made sure i had it unplugged when i called and they sent out an engineer and he replaced it with a new one (250 i think) without checking the other just like i thought he would.

Soldato
Just for anyone in the SE who's having problems, i rang up Virgin a few days ago as my TV signal was blacking out, and there are apparantly issues affecting the entire SE cabling system leading to problems with TV, broadband and Phone.

It might be fixed now but up until last night i was having numerous problems with my internet and tv.

DHR

DHR

Soldato
chimaera said:
Just for anyone in the SE who's having problems, i rang up Virgin a few days ago as my TV signal was blacking out, and there are apparantly issues affecting the entire SE cabling system leading to problems with TV, broadband and Phone.

It might be fixed now but up until last night i was having numerous problems with my internet and tv.

I'm in the NW facing the same issues.

Soldato
Down on the south coast too.

My internet has been cutting in and out since Virgin took over from NTL. To be fair it was never that stable with ntl, but the last 4 months or so have been absolutely awful. I'd have ditched Virgin long ago if I wasn't locked into a contract :/

Also, it doesn't help having the misses complaining about missing Lost and Sky 1 all the time and not having a clue what happened in BSG series 3 either :mad:

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Well..... i thought i'd try my luck at "leaving" tonight. Grumbled to them abou the call charges i was still getting on my bill that i should now not recieve and the fact one of their indian advisors asked me to do the math for him!!! (off topic)..... moaned to them about the junk mail i keep getting..... moaned to them at the internet dns problems i was having, mentioned tech support said it was one area, he confirmed it was all!

I also dropped in that i WAS going to upgrade to 4mb but i won't be touching it now.... came away with my bills fixed (hopefully) and a 4mb connection for the price of 2 :D

It has made a huge difference, i'm yet to have the dns problems i was having before. Its looking like they've rolled out 20mb too quickly as it appears the more bandwidth you're allowed the faster your dns queries run....?

Associate
chimaera said:

yup there was an issue in the SE and i had no service (internet,TV and Phone) from Saturday 11pm till 4pm Sunday..... :mad:

Back
Top Bottom