• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my Conroe a good stepping?

Soldato
Hey folks,

So as I am in the process of changing my motherboard etc etc I thought i'd have a look at my E6600 Conroe for the stepping code;

6600 SL958 MALAY
2.4GHZ / 4M / 1 866 /06
L624 A604

Is there such a thing as a good & bad batch of steppings for these Conroes?

Associate
Yep same here had a l624a and it could only reach3.33ghz satble @1.45 after that would not be 8 hours Orthos stable however much vcore! Got myself a nice L644g380 now that is happy @3.6 1.45v and much lower temps!

Man of Honour
Best ones are weeks 26 through to 29 really... 26 are hit and miss some good some bad, 27 has mostly good, 28 is almost all good and 29 are mostly average but theres some stunning week 29 chips I know of one E6600 from that week that does 3.6gig on stock vcore and 4gig at 1.55v.

Soldato
about the worst I've seen for 6600s .. I've been very frustrated with mine ...

if you want to overclock in your shuttle then I'd sell it and get another ...

you'll get up to about 2.9 gig with not too much of a Vcore rise -but after that if you want higher you'll need a fair amount of Vcore

more Vcore = more heat = not ideal for a shuttle

depends on what you want with it.

I'd change mine if it wasn't for all the faff ...

Mark.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Sorry if this is a nooby post, but how can the week a CPU is produced effect how much it is overclockable? I guess they make CPU's in batches, but surely each batch is the same as the last?

Soldato
Klo said:
Sorry if this is a nooby post, but how can the week a CPU is produced effect how much it is overclockable? I guess they make CPU's in batches, but surely each batch is the same as the last?

A different batch might have slightly different material properties that affect their maximum speed. Also as tweaks etc.. are applied to the process, it may have a negative or positive effect on the yield and speeds, for instance when they try a tweak it may actually decrease the average overclockability of the batch until they get it right. Also on the flip side, a new batch might bring about a successful tweak and thus raise the overclockability, Tbred A to Tbred B, DLT3C Tbreds, AXIA Athlon Thunderbirds etc.. are examples of this.

Last edited:
Associate
Buckster said:
about the worst I've seen for 6600s .. I've been very frustrated with mine ...

if you want to overclock in your shuttle then I'd sell it and get another ...

you'll get up to about 2.9 gig with not too much of a Vcore rise -but after that if you want higher you'll need a fair amount of Vcore

more Vcore = more heat = not ideal for a shuttle

depends on what you want with it.

I'd change mine if it wasn't for all the faff ...

Mark.

yeah think i'll just go upto whatever it can do with no vcore increase...

take it you have exactly the same one?

cheers

Soldato
OP
I only want to get a 3ghz overclock, so not a huge ask I guess, I hope mine can do it.

What sort of vcore and multiplier should I look to feed it then? As my BIOS is set to Vcore AUTO at the moment.

Associate
Rroff said:
Best ones are weeks 26 through to 29 really... 26 are hit and miss some good some bad, 27 has mostly good, 28 is almost all good and 29 are mostly average but theres some stunning week 29 chips I know of one E6600 from that week that does 3.6gig on stock vcore and 4gig at 1.55v.

week 32a supposed to be good

I have a 32a and I can hit 4ghz and webbo is on 32a and 4ghz stable

:)

Permabanned
I guess i've got a bad batch/week whatever as mine took a lot of paitence,time and effort to get mine to 3.2GHz on 1.425. At first it didnt even what to know about 3GHz on 1.55, although i have to say my temps are quite low.

Back
Top Bottom