• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Greasing up :p

Associate
Hey,

I received a second hand cpu from ebay this morning. I've put it on using the grease that was used with the old cpu.

I have upgraded to AMD Athlon 64 4000+ from AMD Athlon 64 3500+.

Firstly, is it important to replace the grease?
Secondly, after a while of using my pc, the computer froze on two separate occasions. Could using the old grease cause this? Maybe the chip overheated?

Thanks for your help

Soldato
Lol, if theres an even spread of the HS it should be fine, try reseating the cooler.

Clear CMOS and them run a few hours of prime, on priority 9 while monitoring your temps, what cooler do you have?

Associate
I have to say I have never reused the thermal paste from another component, in actual fact if I buy anything that has some on new, I scrape it off and replace with Arctic Silver. Seems good practice to me but then different strokes for different folks I guess.
mark

Soldato
Yea go to a well known electronic store and get some cheapo goop, reusing compound is rather silly and prolly why the pcs freezing up. gotta say though, i'd have gotten an X2 cpu in the least, as pointed out its a rather pointless upgrade.

Associate
OP
pastymuncher said:
I must say that this is probably one of the most pointless upgrades i have ever heard of. All that hassle for an extra 200mhz and 512kb L2 cache. I also would never use old thermal grease. Better to apply some fresh stuff.

It was cheap and I enjoyed getting my hands dirty. It's the equivalent of enjoying some pasties even when you're not that hungry :p

Soldato
pastymuncher said:
I must say that this is probably one of the most pointless upgrades i have ever heard of. All that hassle for an extra 200mhz and 512kb L2 cache. I also would never use old thermal grease. Better to apply some fresh stuff.
Almost as good as my upgrade from a Palomino 1900+ to a Barton 2500+ At least the vcore was 0.1v less :p

Associate
OP
I have now repasted it and the problem remains.

After the pc froze, I tried to restart it straight away and it didn't get past the BIOS. I'm thinking that the reason could be because it was still too hot.

If it is, then I don't see why. You tell me the upgrade is insignificant then surely the cooling system I had before should be alright.

Could there be any other reason for freezing?

All this talk of pasties is making me hungry!

Associate
OP
Hey,

I cleared the CMOS and this seems to have done the trick! The temperatures have dropped by about 15C!

Thanks to Defcon5 for suggesting that.

Back
Top Bottom