• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8600gt cooling - will vf900 fit?

Associate
Could anyone confirm if the Zalman VF900 cooler will fit an 8600GT card.... particularly an "OcUK GeForce 8600 GT 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) Stock Code: GX-058-OK".

Anyone fitted on to other 8600gt's... what were the results.

Ta :)

Soldato
I don't know if the 8600GT needs the same VRM cooling as the 8800s. That might pose a problem. You can get heatsinks for them though. Just longer versions of the RAM heatsinks basically.

Soldato
the bridge chip has a heatsink on it, and if the heatsink is integrated into the main cores heatsink then your gonna have some trouble but a seperate hsi heatsink will do the trick.

unless its already a seperate hsi heatsink in which case you have no problems.

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
think you need to read up a bit more on gfx cards mate. :rolleyes:

Considering you own one or something like that wouldn't it be quicker and easier to explain the situation instead of sarcastic posts which don't help at all?

1006430hb2.jpg

Where is this bridge chip? i cant see one?

Soldato
lay-z-boy said:
Considering you own one or something like that wouldn't it be quicker and easier to explain the situation instead of sarcastic posts which don't help at all?

1006430hb2.jpg

Where is this bridge chip? i cant see one?

hsi, high speed interconnect chip was usually found on pci-e cards that were brought over to agp use and also the other way around.

the 8 series nvidia cards seem to have this hsi chip but for unknown reasons. some say its for assisted timing on the pci-e interface.

have a look at the pics of 8 series cards and you may see the chip on there probably under a seperate heatsink.

if someone could desolder thier and test the card would be great to find out what it actually does. :D

edit: now that you got the picture up take the heatsink off the card, it may be under there some where.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
lay-z-boy said:
Surely that's the VRM? :confused:

According to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_Interconnect

It is for agp use.

I'm confused now. :/

wiki is partially correct, its just not been updated.

i spend a lot of time on other forums, especially nzone and xs, so thats where i found out about this chip and wanted to know more about it.

the interesting thing is a poll was done somewhere and depending on the location of this chip it effected overclocking. if the chip was closer to the bottom of the card then overclocking results would be consistanly higher than if the chip was located at the top of the cards.

from what it looks like to me its some kinf od control or timing chip, with these gfx cards doing over 600mhz these days i rekon its got something to do with pci-e timing or flow control or something.

hence why we need someone to desolder thier off the card and see what happens. :D

may pick up a cheapo 8 series card just to experiment with. :)

Associate
OP
right.. back to the ot... an update.. cooler arrived.. fit fine with no problems using the recommended mount holes for the 7 series cards.. plenty of space... hsi heatsink caused no issues whatsoever... temps on the oc'ed 8600gt ive attached it to are hectic... almost a 20 degree drop on load temps! ta :)

Soldato
NaNd0! said:
right.. back to the ot... an update.. cooler arrived.. fit fine with no problems using the recommended mount holes for the 7 series cards.. plenty of space... hsi heatsink caused no issues whatsoever... temps on the oc'ed 8600gt ive attached it to are hectic... almost a 20 degree drop on load temps! ta :)

post a pic of the card with the zalman on it.

Soldato
NaNd0! said:
i was thinking more along the lines of free.. il send u the pic and you can post it as you are the one who requested it.

surly your isp must have some free webspace? unless your with some lame isp like plusnet or tiscali. :p

either way send me the pic ill put it up on here

Back
Top Bottom