Who still uses film?

Soldato
Fstop11 said:
If you are going to use a MF film camera only to just scan it in digitally you are going to end up eventually buying a MF Digital and cutting out the middle man.
You are always going to loose so much detail when scanning. Its not like we are talking a commercial scanner here are we. Its just some 1k home thing.

Reading your previous post makes me wonder why you keep referring back to 35mm DSLRs. What exactly do you NEED such a high resolution for?

quite the price difference though, good medium formats are like 8k if i remember correctly.

Godfather
Godfather
OP
Fstop11 said:
If you are going to use a MF film camera only to just scan it in digitally you are going to end up eventually buying a MF Digital and cutting out the middle man.
You are always going to loose so much detail when scanning. Its not like we are talking a commercial scanner here are we. Its just some 1k home thing.

Reading your previous post makes me wonder why you keep referring back to 35mm DSLRs. What exactly do you NEED such a high resolution for?

My understanding is that a 6x6 neg scanned by a Coolscan 9000 would provide resolution currently unachievable by any MF digicam. The Hasselblad H3D-39 comes closest at a cost of £20K. A new 503CW and Coolscan 9000 is less than £4K. That's a big difference.

Regarding need, who said anything about need? I don't need a 300mm F2.8L but I sure as hell desire it.

It just seems like such a waste not to put it to good use you must see this. Please, by all means throw as much money at anything you want if you really desire it. But are you not concerned for 20 thousand pounds you may not get even 2% back in profits from it?

I can understand if you have a passion for the traditional nature of medium format and said you would love to use it in a digital age with some purpose.

Also to say you would like a Hassleblad V system which carries again the traditional life of people who shot medium format.

If I were to purchase one I would be looking at the likes of the 503CW or if money was no issue the 503CWD.

Lets not forget that with digital RAW we are taken back (those of us who started on film) to be joys of working in a darkroom. Have you thought of the development factor of your medium format shooting experience? I know for a fact I would want to develop them myself.

Others to consider.
Mamiya
ContaxR
Rollei

I am not going to stop you from you purchasing whatever you fancy. I just urge you to consider that these big boys are not switch to AV and let it meter for average blah blah blah. They are precise tools that require fine tuning and precise color adjustments for the images to show their glory.

Personally If I was you and I had that much money. I would buy a 1Ds Mark II (or III whenever) and put the rest of the money into a highly customizable studio set up.

Godfather
Godfather
OP
I'm not sure you understood my post. I'm not intending to spend £20K, rather am suggesting that the £4K of the 503CW and Coolscan 9000 makes much more sense. I am interested in the creative possibilities of working with such a large image and what might be achieved by it. All of this in a package with as much heritage and tradition as the Hasselblad. That prospect is appealing.

I had a darkroom and developed black and white and colour film years ago. Colour is challenging to say the least and not terribly cost effective, especially considering the investment of time involved. If I dabbled with film again I would stick to lab-based processing, then scan and manipulate and print or back to the lab for huge prints. It's just an idea at this stage but an interesting one.

I am quite familiar with medium format cameras and have used Bronica ETRS & SQ-A, Mamiya 645 and RB67 and my grandfather's Rolleflex TLR. I've also been a keen photographer for 31 years.

No I did understand and that would be the Hassy I would go for. To use MF by looking down rather than through holds a technique in its self that is enjoyable for specific photography I have found.

While only in my brief past I have used contax MF during design education I can appreciate the appeal. I think this is up for intelligent debate since a lot of money is involved. I would be tempted to hunt for vintage camera shops and look at the vast range of traded in models. They display a lot at the annual Focus event (although you have missed that now)

Again I would prefer to do the dev/processing myself so I would convert a small that would become suitable for this.
Cant give any advice regarding the scanner. I do not use them.

Associate
Spie said:
Anyone?

I've still got an EOS3 but I can't help wanting a 'blad. Anyone got one?

I believe the Americans left two Hasselblads on the moon in 1969 (if they ever went there of course). Perhaps Spie, (with the size of your wallet) you could hire a shuttle and retrieve them and answer that important question "Did they really go to the moon?" :)

Belly said:
I believe the Americans left two Hasselblads on the moon in 1969 (if they ever went there of course). Perhaps Spie, (with the size of your wallet) you could hire a shuttle and retrieve them and answer that important question "Did they really go to the moon?" :)
so the foot print, plaque and flag could be anyones then? lol

Godfather
Godfather
OP
Belly said:
I don't think my wallet is that big dear chap.

Soldato
To me there are two drivers for going MF/Film.....

1. For all digital convenience and speed I think it can reduce photographic skills, when you only have 6 six shots on a roll, you really start to think about what your doing before pushing the button...For landscape etc, that time to create a shot has appeal to me...

2. You have "need" with the end result, if huge prints is you objective, 20x16 inch etc and over.... then MF should start to show it's self, that said, a roll of Pan-F and good prime 35mm lens, can do really well.

I think if you try and justify it on cost, you fail, it's not about cost, it's about a working practice, and an ability to print huge, and the enjoyment of the hobby..... As a DSLR, like the 5D does A3 prints, cheaper, quicker, easier, quality as good as anything else....but is that the most enjoyable ????...... it's bit like CD vs vinyl , .... convenience vs enjoyment.......

I'm still tempted ;)

9designs2 said:
To me there are two drivers for going MF/Film.....

1. For all digital convenience and speed I think it can reduce photographic skills, when you only have 6 six shots on a roll, you really start to think about what your doing before pushing the button...For landscape etc, that time to create a shot has appeal to me...

2. You have "need" with the end result, if huge prints is you objective, 20x16 inch etc and over.... then MF should start to show it's self, that said, a roll of Pan-F and good prime 35mm lens, can do really well.

I think if you try and justify it on cost, you fail, it's not about cost, it's about a working practice, and an ability to print huge, and the enjoyment of the hobby..... As a DSLR, like the 5D does A3 prints, cheaper, quicker, easier, quality as good as anything else....but is that the most enjoyable ????...... it's bit like CD vs vinyl , .... convenience vs enjoyment.......

I'm still tempted ;)
not just a 5D. a 300D can do A3 prints with no problem at all. 30x20 inch no problem for 8mp DSLRs. It is and always will be the quality of the glass!! Every time!

PanF ASA 50 is the best fine grade film I ever used. I love the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom