• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

help choosing graphics card 8600gt or ati x1950pro?

Associate
Legionaire68 said:
Back on topic kids ;) , the x1950Pro kicks the **** out if th 8600GT. Just got the latest Cus tomPC mag in post and they have tested every card out there and slated the 8600GT and GTS for the money they cost to performance.
You can forget about playing anything DX10 on them as 8800GTX's struggle to get playable frame rates in DX10 games!
The 7600GT beat the 8600GT in the review.

The articles in CustomPC have the 8600 cards at prices WAY over the odds. They quote the gt at £92, which is 20% too much.

Soldato
willhub said:
All I said was max, and if I turn everything up to as high as it will let me go, then thats max.

I aint a blagger, your just silly for causing these little arguments tbh.

well now your trying to change the definition of the word MAX just to save yourself some embarrasment. there is no need for it.

just admit it you balls'd up and your a blagger and everything will be back to normal.

Soldato
man_from_uncle said:
The articles in CustomPC have the 8600 cards at prices WAY over the odds. They quote the gt at £92, which is 20% too much.

thats a thought, who buys computer magazines these days when the internet does a far better job and saves paper too???

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
well now your trying to change the definition of the word MAX just to save yourself some embarrasment. there is no need for it.

just admit it you balls'd up and your a blagger and everything will be back to normal.

No I wont admit anything why cant you just leave me alone :mad: I did not ask you to start an argument with me.

Soldato
willhub said:
No I wont admit anything why cant you just leave me alone :mad: I did not ask you to start an argument with me.

cuz your a blagger, there was no need for you to blag that your x800 could run GRAW at max when it can;t. then you even have the nerve to say that you use CCC to enable the AA when its clearly stated everywhere that AA does not work with GRAW due to its rendering method.
its blaggers like you that need to be tought a lesson for being a lying bunch of *****. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
cuz your a blagger, there was no need for you to blag that your x800 could run GRAW at max when it can;t. then you even have the nerve to say that you use CCC to enable the AA when its clearly stated everywhere that AA does not work with GRAW due to its rendering method.
its blaggers like you that need to be tought a lesson for being a lying bunch of *****. :rolleyes:

I know AA dont owrk with GRAW I dont know why I said it, it looks crappy jaggy with my 8800.

FFS I ******* thought it was max jesus christ your sooo evil go away evil man!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Associate
Cyber-Mav said:

I think he's using a fair enough definition of MAX for most people's taste. It's just that his card didn't have to process most of those features. He simply didn't know that what he was looking at was far from what MAX truely is.

Soldato
willhub said:
I know AA dont owrk with GRAW I dont know why I said it, it looks crappy jaggy with my 8800.

FFS I ******* thought it was max jesus christ your sooo evil go away evil man!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

well you've had your 5 minutes of fame :D i won;t pick on your anymore (until next time) :D

Soldato
man_from_uncle said:
I think he's using a fair enough definition of MAX for most people's taste. It's just that his card didn't have to process most of those features. He simply didn't know that what he was looking at was far from what MAX truely is.

well thats why i asked for a screenshot of the settings page in GRAW since it says there what your running. amd it will show HIGH under the texture options but its not selectable, saying you ran it at max implies you had textures on max too.

Soldato
Has anyone who actually owns a 8600gt or 8600gts gave negative comments? The reason I ask is that I have owned both an X1950 and 8600 and I have seen very little difference between the two (once the 8600 is overclocked). People who **** off the 8600 tend to not have seen one in action. Most of the reviews were done using Beta drivers when the cards first came out so they are not totaly "true world" benches. My system is an E4300 @ 3.2GHz so the GC's are not bottlenecked by the CPU.

Soldato
555BUK said:
Has anyone who actually owns a 8600gt or 8600gts gave negative comments? The reason I ask is that I have owned both an X1950 and 8600 and I have seen very little difference between the two (once the 8600 is overclocked). People who **** off the 8600 tend to not have seen one in action. Most of the reviews were done using Beta drivers when the cards first came out so they are not totaly "true world" benches. My system is an E4300 @ 3.2GHz so the GC's are not bottlenecked by the CPU.

Search Youtube, plenty of stuff on the 8600GT on there :)

Associate
X1950PRO < 8600GT!

Currently nvidia have really smartened things up over the latest driver releases.. its improved perfomance significantly over the drivers which many of these so called "reviews" on the internet have used.

Agree with a valid point by 555BUK .. that those who slate the 8600 are those who have yet to see it in action.

Who knows... perhaps with a driver update for the x1950pro by ati we may see improved performance making it a better card than the 8600.... however taking ati's track record for driver releases (as the 2900xt debate thread on this very forum identified) into account i wouldnt hold my breath.

8600gt works out cheaper, consumes less power.. essentially offering more "bang for buck" than any other card currently out imo. :)

Associate
Forgot to add... im chuffed with my 8600gt... some modest overclocks.. one zalman cooler later and im happy (tho the stock cooler probably would have been fine but i went to an element of looks as well as performance). I'm beating my mates score in 3dmark and the like (who runs a x1950 in a similar but slightly more powerful setup). I recommend getting the 8600.

Soldato
NaNd0! said:
Forgot to add... im chuffed with my 8600gt... some modest overclocks.. one zalman cooler later and im happy (tho the stock cooler probably would have been fine but i went to an element of looks as well as performance). I'm beating my mates score in 3dmark and the like (who runs a x1950 in a similar but slightly more powerful setup). I recommend getting the 8600.

could you post some benchmark results?

Associate
i got the following when i tested the card upon recieving..

3DMARK 2003
Stock: 12929

3DMARK 2005
Stock: 9599
Current Clock: 10617

3DMARK 2006
Current Clock: 4703

current clocks are 650core and 800mem
not tried to push any further yet... might give it a go now that i have more confidence with the zalman cooler keeping things from getting too warm ;)

Soldato
I dont understand why newer hardware does worse in older benchmarks, I mean I see X1950Pro's getting 14,000 or around that in 3DMark 03 with athlon 64 cpu's, then this 8600GT in here, and with my x800xtpe, I got around 12000, maybe 13000, was a long time ago, but deffenitly around that area, but then again my 8800gts gets 32,000 in 03 and thats new hardware :s

Back
Top Bottom