Building 'can turn inside-out'

Man of Honour
Derelict building to work of art

A derelict multi-storey building has become a major work of art in Liverpool city centre.

An 8m (26ft) diameter egg-shape cut from the front of a former Yates's Wine Lodge opposite Moorfields Station has been made to oscillate on an axis.

The piece - titled "Turning the Place Over" - has been created by sculptor Richard Wilson for Liverpool's Capital of Culture Year.

It will remain in place until spring 2008 when the building is demolished.

Richard Wilson is known for his works on architectural canvases which draw heavily for their inspiration from the worlds of engineering and construction.

He has twice been nominated for the Turner Prize.

Mr Wilson said: "I've taken an empty property and by tweaking it with a very clever sculpture idea and a very excellent team of engineers we've been able to animate the material of architecture.

"We don't often associate these materials with movement but we've made a piece of architecture as an event or as a performance to attract people's attention and prove that Liverpool will be the centre of culture in 2008.

The revolving facade of the building rests on a specially designed giant rotator, usually used in the shipping and nuclear industries, and acts as a huge opening and closing window, offering recurrent glimpses of the interior during its constant cycle during daylight hours.

Co-commissioned by the Liverpool Culture Company and Liverpool Biennial, the work has been co-funded by the Northwest Regional Development Agency and The Northern Way.

Councillor Warren Bradley, leader of Liverpool City Council said: "In 2008 works of art that turn people's heads and get them talking will be a major part of the city's cultural programme."

Lewis Biggs, director of Liverpool Biennial added: "It's a dream come true to be able to realise this fabulous artwork in Liverpool, and in the most appropriate context imaginable.

"Turning the Place Over will be remembered and celebrated for as long as people's jaws are capable of dropping."
I'm not usually into art crap but this is seriously cool :cool:

BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6220938.stm
Video: http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/uk/video/101000/bb/101320_16x9_bb.asx

Soldato
pretentious, upper-middle class waste of money in a desperate grab for an upper class art prize so that the artist can stand in a group of his upper-middle class friends and laugh about it going 'phwar, phwar, phwar, phwar' whilst dirnking Pimms

Man of Honour
cleanbluesky said:
pretentious, upper-middle class waste of money in a desperate grab for an upper class art prize so that the artist can stand in a group of his upper-middle class friends and laugh about it going 'phwar, phwar, phwar, phwar' whilst dirnking Pimms

You seem very bitter of the middle classes. Do you work full time for minimum wage?

Soldato
"In my honest opinion its a waste of time" Never a true word spoken..

Kudos to the old lady at the end.

Why bother? It is silly, easy to do and a waste of money. (note; never mentioned taxpayers)

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:

Lol too true, my friend. No point at all to the "art" "exhibition".

Soldato
is it me or did it not turn inside out, but jus spin a section of the wall.
alton towers has been spinning a room in the haunted swing for years...

Soldato
Waste of money. I'm dead against pointless, tasteless art. In Mansfield, a 6m sculpture has been built depicting a pair of stilettos, at a cost of £50,000. It apparently celebrates our 'shoe-making heritage'. But, it doesn't clean the discarded syringes out of the bus station toilets, does it?

Soldato
Jono said:
Not sure, but I think the seats swing like on a pirate ship, and then the rest of the room rotates around you, cylinder around the whole room... maybe.

The room and seats both move together, then when it gets to a certain point, the seats stop where they are but the room carries on in a circle around you.

I aint been on it for years but thats how i remember it.

Back
Top Bottom