US lens = warranty problems?

Associate
Ive just been looking around the web for a f2.8 70-200 and found one brand new for about £650. However it was origionally purchased in the US and is brand new.

Are there any issues i should be aware of regarding the fact it was bought in the US or is it safe?

Soldato
Not all Canon lenses have a worldwide warranty (at least they didn't two years ago when I was selling them).

If you buy your lenses from Kerso (auction site seller in USA) he supplies with an international warranty.

If you buy your lenses from a UK supplier the chances are it's a UK warranty.

If you send a lens with a USA warranty to UK Canon the chances are they will charge you for the repair.

To be honest I would be more worried about whether the lens is scratched etc. if you are buying it second hand.

Permabanned
TheBigCheese said:
If you buy your lenses from a UK supplier the chances are it's a UK warranty.

And this is where things get messy, as there are a few suppliers with .co.uk addresses that don't actually sell UK products nor supply UK warranties yet don't really mention this :/

Associate
I bought an SB-600 and 50 f1.8 from Kerso last year and they were bargaintastic, as well as in perfect condition. Very nice guy to deal with. :)

Soldato
Phate said:
Canon Lens' have a worldwide warrunty

I think that most do, but the Canon lens we bought in the states, would requie shipping to the states for a free warrantee fix. As far as we where told, Canons International warrantee requires the lens to be shipped to the market of origin for the claim.

If you are interested in the peice of mind given witha warrantee, you might be interested enough to check out the term of the warantee. Buying a from Canon UK, you get a 3 year UK (and EU I think) warantee, Buying from Canon Singapore, you get a 1 year local, 6 month international warantee.

According the the details on the Canon Singapore site, the UK does honour the International warantee, though which products this actually refers too can be tricky to find out.

Personally I think the long warantte terms we get within the EU may be worth some of the extra cost of buying them here (especially with digital EOS's - a friend knows 2 people who have sent them back, one is on his 3rd warantee replacement).

Back
Top Bottom