Clamped for no tax disk on display

Soldato
Crizzy said:
So someone complained that you were parked in THEIR space and they clamped you so you COULDNT move your car?! How does that help anyone?? :confused:

Sorry to hear about your situation mate, I probably would've done the same as you though just to avoid further hassle...

yeah.

if you find someone in bed with your other half you're not going to punish them by making them stay there are you? :p

Caporegime
OP
It's all very stupid. Im just trying to find out if number 9 did actually call the clampers or he clamped me for no tax disk, the signs say any vehicles not displaying a valid tax disk or permit will be clamped. Thing is the people who run the building didn't want permits (a lot of the flats are for corporate use)

I hypothetically asked him what if my car was in my space without any tax then, he said it would have to be sorned. I then pointed out he wouldnt know that. He reckoned he would as he could check on the computer. Why coulnt he check if the car was taxed then.

Main point was that I was in the wrong space. Someone was in mine but I'm not such a **** to report someone when there is loads of space anyway. I will be visiting them again tonight to find the full facts. If no one complained then I will be taking this further.

Really wish i just took the clamp off now :(

I'm right in the centre of reading.

Associate
If they are such big jobsworths then next time someone is in your space. Park you car to block them in call up the jobsworths and get them nicked. Prove your space is being used by someone unauthorised.

Personally if you and the other residents/companies can't get something done its everyone for themselves.

Imagine if this happens every week. Want to annoy some people or keep shovelling cash left and right.

Please note I'm not saying your wrong or anything - most decent folks are polite don't want to cause trouble etc but if it takes a few broken eggs to sort it out then so be it.

I'd be finding the owner who used my space and be presenting them with the clampers bill (assuming I could find em).

Caporegime
OP
Ive lived here 9 months and never seen a clamp or clamper van in the car park. They dont even know the code when it gets changed.

There are no permits at all. This is half the farce, the signs say you need a permit. I told the clamper to go and clamp every car underneath the flats then if this is the case. Obviously he didn't as the building management company didnt want them.

Soldato
Simon said:
the signs say you need a permit

This is starting to sound dodgier by the minute...

If the road is private propertly, you can park without having a tax disc. The only people allowed to clamp your vehicle, due to not having a valid tax disk displayed, is the government, and only when parked on a public road.

Soldato
Dr_Evil said:
This is starting to sound dodgier by the minute...

If the road is private propertly, you can park without having a tax disc. The only people allowed to clamp your vehicle, due to not having a valid tax disk displayed, is the government, and only when parked on a public road.

I don't think that applies unless you declare your car SORN.

Soldato
Cuchulain said:
I don't think that applies unless you declare your car SORN.

Still, a private clamping company cannot clamp for that reason, only if you're parking without a permit or permission on a private road. Tax disks is none of their business and is down to the government to deal with...

Soldato
Dr_Evil said:
Still, a private clamping company cannot clamp for that reason, only if you're parking without a permit or permission on a private road. Tax disks is none of their business and is down to the government to deal with...

Not disagreeing with you on that point.

Soldato
Cuchulain said:
Not disagreeing with you on that point.

Thanks. If the clamping company clamped him because he didn't have a permit, or parked in a non-parking zone, then yes, but for not displaying a tax disc? That is wrong and I wouldn't have paid it, whether or not i was able to remove the clamp from my wheel or not....

Soldato
Dr_Evil said:

The DVLA have contracted this out to NCP. Beware if you park in an NCP controlled car park as they can clamp you if you don't have a valid tax disc:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022072

Soldato
Soldato
But lets say i owned a car park and you wanted to park in it. You have to abide by my terms if you want to park in my car park. So if i said you need to have a taxed vehicle and you broke that rule then as part of my terms i could clamp you no?

Man of Honour
tonyyeb said:
But lets say i owned a car park and you wanted to park in it. You have to abide by my terms if you want to park in my car park. So if i said you need to have a taxed vehicle and you broke that rule then as part of my terms i could clamp you no?

No.

Soldato
Trojan said:
Unbelievable. So if you call the police it's a civil matter. If they call them you're in breach of the peace? Pathetic :mad:
I think it depends on whether it's the council doing the clamping in a public area or a private company on private land.

Back
Top Bottom