• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU overclock and 3Dmark Quandry.

Associate
It's a puzzling one this and I need your help to try and find out what the issue maybe. :)

I have currently got my cpu set @2.7GHz (9x300 @1.34v) and can run 3dmark06 and get around 10500 pts which is OK, @stock cpu its around 9600pts with similar core volts. Everything memory and votage wise is set to auto (apart from fsb of 300 and mem 900) and everything seems pretty stable.
The problem arises when I try to overclock my cpu further. I've had the CPU stable @3.2Gz (400x8) and @3.6ghz(400x9) with tweaking the core voltage and memory timings but as soon as I run 3dmark06 my score effectively halves to around 5000points :confused:
I've adjusted the pci requency to 101 and the same issue applies.

I'm currently using an Akasa Ultra quiet 550W Powerplus PSU which should be more than enough to run my system (2x HDD and 2 optical drives only which I have disconnected for the purpose of this exercise) but i'm wondering if upping the core voltage to get stable cpu overclocks could be affecting the amount of juice the graphics card may be getting.

I'd like to rule out everything else before having to purchase another PSU so have any of you got any other ideas? :D

Soldato
It sounds like the CPU is getting too hot and throttling back. What are your temps like?

EDIT: Although you say it's stable, so that sounds like you've tested it using something like Orthos. :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
killer_uk said:
It sounds like the CPU is getting too hot and throttling back. What are your temps like? Have you tried to stress test it using something like Orthos?

My temps under load whilst running orthos maxed out at 57Deg which is within reasonable limits I think ;) The core voltage in the bios setting being 1.475 and Asus probe reports this as being 1.42 core volts (cpuz the same).

BTW I have a freezer 7 Pro fitted.

Soldato
Hawklord said:
My temps under load whilst running orthos maxed out at 57Deg which is within reasonable limits I think ;) The core voltage in the bios setting being 1.475 and Asus probe reports this as being 1.42 core volts (cpuz the same).

BTW I have a freezer 7 Pro fitted.

Yeah those temps are fine. Very strange......can't think of anything else it could be.....hmmm. I will post back if I think of anything. ;)

Soldato
I have the same issue at 2.8 on my e6600, off another forum
Could be you're right on the edge of a strap limit. Back it down a 15mhz, and see if you still get lower scores. Hitting a strap will raise the latencies of the Northbridge, and lower overall performance. The key is to find the balance between a give strap and the OC you achieve on it.

I didnt get time to test this tho

Associate
OP
killer_uk said:
Yeah those temps are fine. Very strange......can't think of anything else it could be.....hmmm. I will post back if I think of anything. ;)

Please do :cool:

Are there any Current PSU's out that have the 8pin plug connection for the HD2900? Or could someone give me a link to an approprite converter please. I'm thinking if I can get a six and 8 pin connection rather than the two 6 pin connectors I'm currently using it may help ;)

thanks

Associate
Hawklord said:
Please do :cool:

Are there any Current PSU's out that have the 8pin plug connection for the HD2900? Or could someone give me a link to an approprite converter please. I'm thinking if I can get a six and 8 pin connection rather than the two 6 pin connectors I'm currently using it may help ;)

thanks

i dont think its the 6 pin as many on here have got high overclocks by just using 2 6 pins

Soldato
juno_first said:
I find prime95 good for testing cpu stability (1 for each core)

Though remember if your graphics card is under load for a while then its heat will affect uor cpu too.
my rig is 12 hr memtest, prime and orthos stable at 3.2Ghz but i still get the lower 3d mark scores
Max temps under load reaching 52oC

Back
Top Bottom