My new marine clown fish

Associate
I've got tropical fish. Had them a month or so now and really loving keeping them. Already having ideas about getting a salt water tank. How hard is it keeping salt water fish? I was in the fish shop today they're expensive and so are all the plants.

Soldato
We have a 5ft tank sat here empty ready and waiting to take marine fish. We've bought an RO unit which we have yet to plumb in but we cant wait to get started.

Can you give us any tips on our set up? We're a little confused as to how much live rock we should have in there.

Soldato
I used to keep marines a few years back but ended up giving them up as it was getting to costly - i ended up turning the tank over to a very big piranha :)

Oh and i wouldnt put a Tang in there!!

Some damsels will be nice as well as a cleaner wrasse or 2 :)

Dont overstock the tank tho :)

Soldato
OP
Minxy said:
We have a 5ft tank sat here empty ready and waiting to take marine fish. We've bought an RO unit which we have yet to plumb in but we cant wait to get started.

Can you give us any tips on our set up? We're a little confused as to how much live rock we should have in there.

i found this site really good http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/index.php
:D i've got about 30kg of live rock in mine which set me back about £250 but i'm doing a reef tank with lots of corals and Anemone and not too many fish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow that looks great! We actually bought our tank as a complete set up and we had that before we bought the house. :D

Unfortunately it has been covered up in our lounge since early March because we have been decorating and had a few problems with our home. However we're now getting there and very excited about filling it up. :D

What can anyone tell me about Triggers? I hear they like to move your rock around?

We'd like some corals with a few fish but we're very much beginners although we do already have 2 trop tanks. Thank you for that forum link it will come in very handy!

Associate
Great Fish.

Been interested in Marine Fish myself for along time and have always thought about buying some. What kind of price can I exspect to get everything up and running, I read an article that its about £1,000 (2004 though).

Soldato
OP
Larnica said:
Great Fish.

Been interested in Marine Fish myself for along time and have always thought about buying some. What kind of price can I exspect to get everything up and running, I read an article that its about £1,000 (2004 though).

Well mine is

Tank £350
Pump £150
Skimmer £150
T5 Lighting £120
Salt £60
RO Water £20
Live Rock £250
Ocean Rock £25
2 x Power head £50
Test Kit £25

Total £1200

and thats even with out any fish or coral in it :eek:

Also depends what size tank you want to go for and what you want to keep in it.

Back
Top Bottom