automatix2. yay or nay.

Soldato
i've been reading a few threads here on how best to get ubuntu up and running for noobs and hear this mentioned quite a lot. but then i was looking at ubuntuguide.org......

Automatix2 is a proprietary script that tries to install some software, and often fails and breaks systems. The Ubuntu community doesn't provide support for it, and we strongly discourage its use. Problems caused by Automatix are often hard to track and solve, and it might sometimes be easier to install a fresh copy of Ubuntu.

which has kind of put me off. :D

edit: nvm. i had a codec problem which i've managed to sort without automatix so i'll leave it.... :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
I have stayed away from automatix in the past due to the bad reports it has generated, however for every bad report i have also heard a good report. A 50% success rate isn't really that good, but i do believe that the developers are trying really hard to create something good. In the mean time i have used the software list of automatix as an idea of what i can install myself in my own ubuntu, so it does have its uses for me :)

Soldato
OP
well i was only going to consider automatix as a last resort because i was having some problems with some codecs - or so i thought. it seems my video driver is the problem. i'm much happier using apt-get to install stuff.

cheers for the replies though. :)

Soldato
I used to use the Automatix scripts but only while I was still finding my Linux feet. I install everything manually now, I think it's the best way if you really want to learn how to do stuff in Linux.

Soldato
I've used Automatix2 plenty of times in the past, generally its fine. Occasionally its done odd quirks when installing nvidia drivers, but having got them working on a Gentoo install before, manually fixing xorg.conf files isn't particularly challenging anymore :D

Back
Top Bottom