Socket 939 MOBO Question!!

Associate
Would it be posible to crossfire a pair of HD 2900 XT's on a 939 motherboard (if so what model) or would i have to bite the bullet & buy a new AM2 cpu to go with a AM2 motherboard ?

Soldato
While it would be possible - there are several 939 crossifre board id imagine that even a single card would be bottlenecked by the cpu.

If youre going AM2 i'd seriously go C2D instead as it isnt going to cost anymore and be quicker :)

Associate
OP
MeatLoaf said:
While it would be possible - there are several 939 crossifre board id imagine that even a single card would be bottlenecked by the cpu.

If youre going AM2 i'd seriously go C2D instead as it isnt going to cost anymore and be quicker :)

My plan was to upgrade my existing rig to a DX 10 rig with minimal overheads I am currently running a X2 3800 Dual-Core Socket 939 cpu @ 2750 Mhz on a ASUS A8R32-MVP Delux with 2 gig of OCZ Platinum ddr.

I have already tried installing a single Sapphire HD 2900 xt on this rig & i could get no output at all, i tried everything to get the card running updated the bios reset cmos tried 3 different lcd screens incuding a benq FP241W all this with a 700 w psu.

So the card went back but i still want to try this & now i see these new cards (OcUK HD 2900 XT with 1GB of GDDR4) are going on sale soon i want to have another bash at it but i am not going to use my existing ASUS A8R32-MVP Delux i would really like to know if a socket 939 motherboard is out there that will support a crossfire setup with HD 2900 xt's :)

Associate
OP
deadeyedic30 said:
Your board is probablythe best 939 crossfire board there was. Did you here back if the 2900 was faulty or not ?

As for your original question I don't see why not assuming your psu is up to the task.

No i purchased the Sapphire HD 2900 xt from pc world belive it or not! & when i returned the card i informed them of my problem at there customer support desk & waited while they tested the card on one of there rigs but they didnt have the 6 pin power lead from the psu & asked me if i still had the 6 pin power lead from the psu to the card & informed them that it's not supplied with the card so they canibalised the only way overpriced 8800 gtx they had in stock on the shelf to retrieve this cable which was supplied with that card.
After testing the card that i had originally purchased to no joy they then opend up the second and last Sapphire HD 2900 xt from the shelf to see if they could get this card running & nope they could not they had the same problem as me so after opening 2 x Sapphire HD 2900 xt & a 8800 gtx just to get the lead they were scratching there heads & still had no clue why the card would not run & gave me a full refund.
Bit of a nightmare really!

I am thinking of trying this mobo SAPPHIRE PC-A9RD580Adv Socket 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon Xpress 3200 ATX AMD & from what information i can find this looks like the daddy to do the job! anyone tried this mobo on a rig with specs like my setup ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom