I bust my mobo again -_-

Associate
Ok, this has happened pretty much every summer for the last 4 years. I've tried to replace something, or fix something, and ended up either mutilating my motherboard, or killing my CPU. I've killed 4 athlon xp processors over the last 3 years, and god help me if i don't do it again in the next 4 months or so.
This summer, today, i tried to replace a RAM stick. Unbeknown to me, i hadn't put the stick in properly when i proceeded to switch my PC on to test it out. Next thing i know, I smell burning, nothing shows on the monitor, and so i switch my PC off, and take the ram stick out. Now my pc is busteded :( Again. I'm not gonna waste my time trying to fix it this time, my clumsy experiences over the last 4 years has told me that i should just get a replacement asap :p

Basically, the motherboard that broke was one of a kind, and i'm having EXTREME difficulty in finding a replacement. You know it. The ASRock 939Dual-SATAII \o/. Needless to say, with PC changing every hour of every day and new stuff on the market, I can't find this motherboard or it's twin VSTA model anywhere to buy.

First of all, i want to know what the difference between the Dual-SATAII and the Dual-VSTA model is;
Secondly, I would like to know if anyone can suggest an alternate/similar motherboard for this, on the basis that I need a motherboard that has at least 3 DDR Dimm slots, an AGP 4x/8x slot for my 6600gt agp, and a socket 939 slot for my socket 939 athlon 64 3500 cpu. I can't afford to get a pci-e equivalent of my card/an AM2 socket processor in addition to getting a replacement motherboard sadly, and would like to get my PC up and running again as soon as possible so I can enjoy my summer holiday reward after 3 months of exam preparation ;_;

Associate
I would suggest you get somebody else to fix it for you..... you must be EXTREMELY clumsy to destroy that many PC parts.....

perhaps find a new hobby ?

Associate
OP
athlon xps are difficult to handle ;o 4 times while putting the heatsink on, the chip got chipped :( wish they could've designed athlon xp cpus with the same heatspread athlon 64s have

*edit*

Competitor links removed

Last edited:
Caporegime
i probo installed, hmm, 10-15 chips and some of those multiple times with cooling upgrades or mobo changes, not a single chip, no cracked cores.

give up and have someone else do it.

Associate
OP
there's no time. Besides, today's incident was just me fiddling around for no reason as usual. Can someone help me selecting a motherboard then >_>

Caporegime
i havent broken anything so far whilst making the 3 pc's i have doen in the past (two a64's and a core 2 duo). As for the ram not seated properly, thats a rookie mistake, should allways make sure everything is seated properly before powering on.

Associate
OP
My lack of patience is part of the problem, i'm too eager to be able to do things, so i rush. Anyways, i found a motherboard model on ****** that is similar to my old one, minus the futureproofing features such as the CPU expansion port and both a PCI-E and AGP slot on the 939Dual-xxxx:

*edit*

Competitor links removed

Last edited:
Soldato
OH my goodness. I have been taking PC's apart for so many years, and I have never managed to break anything so far. I think Athlons are pretty robust and even use the Tower 112 (Pure copper and bloody heavy) on mine with no problems.

Actually I did once fry a really old graphics card that was the wrong voltage, but it was only 1mb and about 5 years out of date anyway lol. But then, I have rewired an ATX PSU to power a book PC :D

Good luck, sounds like you need it. If you have ADD, go take a run before you work on anything!

Matthew

Associate
OP
I leave it to my mate (scoobydoo69 i think he's called on this forum)to install new parts on my PC now, he installed the parts into my motherboard (the one that broke yesterday) and did a damn good job of it. Problem is, i can't be arsed to journey to his/wait for him to come round to mine to fiddle with minor things. All the times i've wrecked stuff, I've been doing stuff that wasn't even necessary. I don't even understand how i managed to chip the athlon xp 1700, 1900 and my mom's 2400 cpus that i've broken in the past; but needless to say, i can't see the same problems arising with my athlon 64 chip. And ADHD is something i don't have, i'm a damn lazy guy :p The only time i get up in my house is to take a leak or get a drink. I don't even answer the telephone.....

Summer 2004 - I rip off a capacitor on my motherboard by accident while trying to take out the ATX plug in my motherboard

Winter 2004/Spring 2005 - A brand new temporary radeon 9200SE stops working 20 minutes after installing it, midway through a game of Fifa 2003, am forced to buy a 5200 FX as i'm tired of my Geforce 2 MX

Summer 2005 - Hot summer, overheating problems with my CPU, so i try to clean out my PC: while trying to apply some better thermal paste to my CPU, I chip the CPU while putting the HS&F on

Winter 2005 - I think i wrecked my motherboard again while putting everything into a new PC case, so i order a new one. Turns out i just had a faulty ram module. Screwing.

Summer 2006 - Summer 2005 happens again happens again while trying to install a copper plated better Heatsink and Fan, i try to replace the broken chip with the working, better chip in the family PC as no-one uses it, end up screwing that chip up as well - Sister and mother furious when my dumbass cousin tells them what happened.

Summer 2007 - While getting ****** off at choppy gameplay while playing WoW in certain areas, I discover the 512 mb faulty ram module lying around
, but i don't realise it's the faulty one. After realising it's faulty, and switching it back with the old one, well, we already know what happened.

Last edited:
Associate
oh dear not having much like i was abit like that 1 month went through 2 montherboards they where ds3 first 1 i knocked a capstor off while trying to remove my ninja rev b and they are quite hard to remove. second 1 i blew the pci express card fittig the same said ninja 1 of the metal clips tounched the graphics card, i though i took the graphics card so orderd a 8800 gts. find out my 7900 is just fine so sold it. anyways am on a ds3 p now with a nice o/c of 3.5 on air (i think my prob was i rushed to get everything done learnt my lession quite a costly 1 as well.

Soldato
lol... seriously unlucky. I'm still completely baffled at your 1) How clumsy you are (how the heck so you chip a CPU?!?) 2) How honest your being lol ;)

Just slow down and learn to enjoy it :) Good luck :)

Matthew

Associate
OP
I don't even know how i manage to chip the CPU chip =/ While putting the Heatsink and Fan on athlonXP chips, the corners of the chips always get a bit chipped off =/ I honest to god don't even know how it happens =/
Anyways, ScoobyDoo69 will be fixing my PC from now on, even if it means I have to drive to his workplace while he is working.

Social worker? I'm still in full time education :O

Back
Top Bottom