Help me choose an Ipod headunit thread...

Soldato
I er "accidentally" bought an ipod recently so since I dislike my current headunit its time to splash more money out and get a nice unit that I can plug the pod into.

My budget is *around* £150.

Things that are important to me are of course iPod control, a decent display (I know its lame, but i REALLY hate the old LCD style ones) and of course reasonable sound quality.

I've narrowed it down to these 3

(current first choice) Kenwood W7537U ~£160 delivered
kdcw7537u.jpg

Advantages: 4x50W, nice display, can get optional bluetooth handsfree and DAB control
Disadvantages: None of my local halfrauds have one, so i've not been able to play with a 'live' one.

Then we get the Sony GT50Ui
cdxgt50uir-bg.jpg

Advantages: Feels very "solid" when playing in halfords, cheap option, 4x 52W
Disadvantages: Not keen on the display

Then finally, the Pioneer DEH-P6900IB
b_dehp6900ib.jpg

Advantages: Pioneer usually make good quality stuff, probably sounds great.
Disadvantages: it feels *really* cheap and plasticky to use, the big wheel feels like its made of thin, cheap plastic as do the buttons. this really did put me off :(

I'm edging tward the Kenwood so far, mainly cause I've had them in the past and my generic car audio setup (its by no means a show stopper, all speakers are HU powered) and my deafness (in right side to high frequencies) means that I probably won't pick up on some of the better quality audio units.

Does anyone own any of the above or have any suggestions? thanks :)

Associate
I own the Pioneer 6900 and its an awesome head unit - Can't really compare to any others really as I haven't owned any others!

The performance is great and I really like the looks

Heres a pic of mine for looks

car4.jpg

Took on my phone so isn't a great quality image

Last edited:
Soldato
I own the Kenwood. Its a great HU. The jogwheel on the right is great for ipod navigation and it displays your full ipod menu with playlists etc. £160 delivered is pretty good as I paid £200 (including the ipod cable which you need for the connectivity).

Soldato
How much better are these new ipod units? I have one of the first gen ipod HU and it's really poor for navigating around. I've resorted to unplugging the ipod, find an album and then plugging back in :p

I'd just use AUX in personally, think you can get one's which charge too can't you? That's one good thing about my HU.

Soldato
aMb said:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cde9850ri-ipod-full-speed-p-4679.html

cde9850ri.jpg

Got the Alpine 9850Ri and pleased with it - does what it says on the tin basically. The screen isnt as good as the above though.

i vote for this, have one and its great.
you can browse ** songs the speed u can on your ipod and it charges it when its pluged in too!

the 4x50w thing really aint accurate there more about 4x25w.

it also got a cool button u pop in and out to browse.

Soldato
OP
as bad as it sounds, i really don't like that display - its like the one i've got on the JVC at the moment.

The kenwood is 30Wx4 RMS :)

Soldato
Townlea said:
I own the Pioneer 6900 and its an awesome head unit - Can't really compare to any others really as I haven't owned any others!

The performance is great and I really like the looks

Heres a pic of mine for looks

car4.jpg

Took on my phone so isn't a great quality image

I'd say the Pioneer DEH 55bt with ipod adapter. Works a treat with my Ipod Video & has bluetooth handsfree for phone.

You got a VTS mate? :p

Soldato
OP
I dont want an inbuilt bluetooth, reason being is that I use my phone for TomTOm, and i gave it a go in the shop and it cuts the music out each time tomtom wants to "turn left".. so i've got a Parrot one that you splice into the loom with an override switch for the tel mute line :)

Associate
digitalwolf said:
You got a VTS mate? :p

Just a Mk2 Saxo VTR.

Got it on Sunday, The car looks like its just come out of a showroom.

Its in need of a new gearbox this week (booked for thursday)

Bought for £1800 - taxed till July 2008, MOT March 2008, 61k on the clock, new cambelt 500 miles ago, 4 brand new Michelin Pilots and no curbing on any of the alloys. new gearbox clutch etc fitted £550

Anyway back onto subject.. Pioneer 6900 can be had for around £180-£190 - well worth the buy. I think any of the above you have shortlisted would be a great purchase for your needs.

Back
Top Bottom