30" Apple Display - MacBook?

Associate
Ok, I have about £2000 to spend on a new set up and I am wanting to go for the MacBook 13" in black and the 30" HD Cinema Display, the only thing is I'm not too sure whether or not the 13" Book will support the entire 30" without any distortion, I want the resolution to be crystal clear otherwise it would be a waste of money, does anyone have any tips or perhaps know what I will need in order to push the 30" monitor to the limits of crystal clear res.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
As you're probably waiting for an answer asap, i'll chip in with - 99.9% sure that you can't drive the 30" at full res as you need something called "dual link DVI" for the graphics output, and the macbook only supports normal DVI. A MacBook Pro should be able to drive the monitor, although for that i'm not sure.

Associate
ummmm, no it won't... it barely supports a 19inch monitor.

for £2000, you could easily afford a new mac book pro and a 24inch dell.

the macbook pro wins so hard over the macbook.

faster processor
2gb of ram
decent graphics
led display.
metal casing

and a 30 inch monitor is far too big.

Soldato
I would go with a MacBook Pro for something like that.

It's onboard graphics verses a powerful graphics card.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks guys, The 30" display I was hoping to replace the bedroom TV.

I might look at the MacBook Pro although I've noticed it's about double in price.

If anyone could give me definate answer on the macbook pro supporting it that would be great.

Soldato
Mellownatts said:

I might look at the MacBook Pro although I've noticed it's about double in price.

If anyone could give me definate answer on the macbook pro supporting it that would be great.

I use a 26" display (HDTV) as my monitor at home, works perfectly. I've also had it hooked up to a 42" HDTV no problems.

Associate
OP
Justin said:
I use a 26" display (HDTV) as my monitor at home, works perfectly. I've also had it hooked up to a 42" HDTV no problems.
Thanks for that, do you have the higher spec 17" or the 15" MacBook Pro.

Was there any distortion what so ever on the 26" HDTV?

Sorry about all the questions, I just really want to make sure it will work before spending a few grand on this stuff.

Soldato
Mellownatts said:
Thanks for that, do you have the higher spec 17" or the 15" MacBook Pro.

Was there any distortion what so ever on the 26" HDTV?

Sorry about all the questions, I just really want to make sure it will work before spending a few grand on this stuff.

I got the 2.4Ghz (mid range model) 15". No distortion what so ever on the 26", very nice picture.

Associate
Apple website:

"Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors"

for the Macbooks.

Soldato
nav... said:
ummmm, no it won't... it barely supports a 19inch monitor.

Barely? How so?

Mine seems to manage perfectly well driving its own 13.3 inch display as well as a 20 inch, 1680x1050 display simultaneously.

The rest of your post's bob on though :D

Soldato
TheVoice said:
Very true. The Apple displays are horribly expensive for what they are.

Yep, sadly. They do look good, but they just use old technology.

I'm getting a MBP, and considering a Samsung 305T, does anyone know if these two will work together properly?

Associate
Mellownatts said:

The 30" display (Apple) will only take a digital DVI connection, no VGA > DVI adapters work, so, you'll only be able to feed a computer to it really, I've tried various things and really, they're not worth it, not to mention the poor viewing angles on many monitors - I'd recommend a HDTV (although not great for using as monitors, can strain the eyes) - but only for watching films on or whathaveyou (via the MacBook).

Associate
On a side note, would a Macbook be able to power a 26inch HDTV at 1360x768 without downgrading on quality? So I would be able to watch DVD's etc using front row on the screen at high quality?

Last edited:
Soldato
GraemeUK said:
On a side note, would a Macbook be able to power a 26inch HDTV at 1360x768 without downgrading on quality? So I would be able to watch DVD's etc using front row on the screen at high quality?

Works fine on my MacBook Pro, can't see it being a problem with a MacBook though, a long as it's connected via vga or dvi.

Associate
GraemeUK said:
It would be fine, it is fine on my screen. Just bear in mind you'll need a separate cable for the sound (rca two phonos).

Back
Top Bottom