Would you give your life for someone else

Soldato
yes

if i was fighting in a war besides my mates i woudl put my life in danger to save theirs. every time.

plus i know when i marry i would die to save my wife.

Soldato
For the missus or the family or some very close friends yes.

For general kids in danger, yes.

For all others, dunno to be honest, depends on the situation

Soldato
In a situation where it was me or her, I would in an instant. Living after that knowing you chose not to save the other person would be hell.

Soldato
Willis said:
Would you give your life for someone else eg girlfriend, wife, friend etc or how many people would you need to save to give your life for. Would you be to scared to die or selfish. Please be honest :)

Havr you volounteered to donate one of your vital organs or something?

Associate
It's very easy to say you'd give your life to save somebody when you know the chances are you will never be in that position.
When push comes to shove I bet there aren't that many people who would actually make the utimate sacrifice despite what they might say, I'm honestly not sure I would even for wife and kids.

Edited for my apalling spelling. (Is that how you spell apalling... :confused: )

Soldato
Willis said:
Very true i just think that 99% of people say they would but if it came down to the real thing then i dont think most people would. Lets say you had a week to think about it you would have a real internal battle going on in your head and heart.

I wouldn't exactly be pleased about it but a week would make no difference. If the decision is yours you would have to be incredibly selfish to let the other person die.

Associate
I think we'd all feel totally different if we actually got into that situation.

It also depends on the situation - sometimes our natural instincts to survive could, and do, get in the way of rational reason...

For example - it might sound daft and this isn't the best example... If you're in the jungle alone with just your partner or whatever, and a lion has approached you and is about to eat you alive, natural instinct might seriously make you - unconsciously, to a certain extent - throw your partner to the lion as a defence mechanism.

Sounds totally daft but it seriously happens - the body takes over sometimes and your decision making is totally knocked out by the body's instinct to survive.

Soldato
jackgnic said:

It also depends on the situation - sometimes our natural instincts to survive could, and do, get in the way of rational reason...

For example - it might sound daft and this isn't the best example... If you're in the jungle alone with just your partner or whatever, and a lion has approached you and is about to eat you alive, natural instinct might seriously make you - unconsciously, to a certain extent - throw your partner to the lion as a defence mechanism.

Sounds totally daft but it seriously happens - the body takes over sometimes and your decision making is totally knocked out by the body's instinct to survive.

Well obviously but lets say your not in that position and can rationally think about it. At the end of the week one of you is getting a lethal injection and the choice is yours.

Permabanned
jackgnic said:

That or completely run off, then it's hey it's not my fault your a slower runner.

Man of Honour
MookJong said:
If the decision is yours you would have to be incredibly selfish to let the other person die.

I think you underestimate the effect death would have on your life. It's not quite the same decision as letting somebody more needy go in the queue in front of you at the shop.

It's the end. Thats it. Finito, Nothing more. IMHO anyone who says they would give up their life so that somebody else who is not their wife (No, not girlfriend you've been seeing 6 months) or child is lying. Or if they are not deliberately lying they've not properly thought it through and would never do it.

What would be the sense in putting yourself in the position of somebody who is going to die so that they may live? Net result to the world is unchanged - one person dies.

Permabanned
Willis said:
Would you give your life for someone else eg girlfriend, wife, friend etc or how many people would you need to save to give your life for. Would you be to scared to die or selfish. Please be honest :)
No I wouldn't; I would be selfish.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
I think you underestimate the effect death would have on your life. It's not quite the same decision as letting somebody more needy go in the queue in front of you at the shop.

It's the end. Thats it. Finito, Nothing more. IMHO anyone who says they would give up their life so that somebody else who is not their wife (No, not girlfriend you've been seeing 6 months) or child is lying. Or if they are not deliberately lying they've not properly thought it through and would never do it.

What would be the sense in putting yourself in the position of somebody who is going to die so that they may live? Net result to the world is unchanged - one person dies.

That what i've been thinking, given time to think about it its very scary and dont think i could do it if i'm honest but in a split second situation maybe i would. We all like to think we would be hero's but in real life fear would kick in and most people would not do it.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
This is the way Spock would look at the situation, there is no emotional content or passion to that, only cold logic. It is as if the other person was a total stranger, in that situation of course I would not give my life. But for somone you are in love with it is a different story, you would want them to live more than you would worry about yourself.

Last edited:
Suspended
Tough question. If there was a small chance that we'd both come out of whatever peril we were in alive, then I like to think that I'd make the attempt, although obviously it's impossible to be sure without putting myself in that situation.

If it was a certain death, one-for-one swap, then the other person had better be someone I really loved. The only people I can think of that I'd give up my life for are my (hypothetical) children.

Back
Top Bottom