Canon 400D WIA install problem

Soldato
Hi all. Just tried to get my 400D hooked up to my PC for the first time. I ran the installer off the CD and that went OK. I chose to install everything I had the option to.

Restarted PC and plugged camera in. XP shows a popup in the start bar...all going well...until I get a dialog box asking me to direct XP to the drivers for my camera. Hmm strange I think. So I let it do it automatically since I've just installed the stuff. Doesn't work. So I do it manually and point it to the CD. Still no luck.

So I check the Software Guide that came with the box. And I notice one difference between the screenshot on the guide and my PC. The Software Guide screenshot shows 5 items to be installed:

Digital Photo Professional
EOS Utility
ZoomBrowser EX
PhotoStitch
EOS WIA Driver.

I only get the first 4 on my PC when I run the installer. The EOS WIA Driver is not there to be selected for install or not.

Any ideas what is going on here? I've never connected the camera to my PC before today. I made sure I installed the software first so as far as I am aware I've done what the guide tells me to.

Soldato
OP
I've fixed it. I realised that the PTP driver I needed would have been part of XP. So since I'm running an nLite install there was a chance I had erroneously (and stupidly!) removed the Cameras and Camcorders drivers from XP.

So I just needed to find and download the ptpusb.dll and ptpusb.inf and feed them to the XP driver wizard. All is happy now.

**Edit** Just had a chat with Scuzi and having learned that closed threads normally disappear off the face of the Earth I thought it'd be good to keep this thread for archival purposes in case some other noob loses their ptpusb files.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom