Spec me a car!

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Right fed up of driving sheds to work. Will be doing about 20k a year, but I've figured if I change cars every 6 month or so I won't suffer as bad depreciation. So a car to do 10k in 6 months and lose as little money as possible. Requirements:

- Very low depreciation
- Diesel
- comfy with toys
- not poverty spec looking
- newish, say 02 onwards

Something of reasonable size if I need to take some people anywhere as my other car now only has 2 seats, but not too big that will be annoying to park in works tight car park. Doesn't need to be fast or fun to drive.

5 grand budget however if I could get a much nicer car that would depreciate of a similar amount could always get a loan of upto another 5 grand.

Any ideas?

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Sorry I should clarify, its not that I'm incompetent at parking - I have to manouver a long wheel base mercedes sprinter all day long round tiny streets so a Mondeo should be alright :p It's just the car park is a really awkward shape and anything too huge probably likely to get knocked by someone else.

Mondeo size is alright, but would have thought one of that age would still be suffering from rapid depreciation.

Man of Honour
I'm not a Mondeo expert so wait for one of them, but you should be able to pick up a 2003 2.0TDCI with 60-70k for £5k. Adding 10k miles to that and 6month shouldn't depreciate things at all, if you find a bargain.

Focuses hold there value well..

Last edited:

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Also to bear in mind it doesn't need to be Mercedes S class comfortable.

I'm coming from a stripped out saxo on low profile tyres with group n suspension so most cars will be a luxury :cool:

Man of Honour
Impossible criteria. Lets have a look why.

Firstly, you want 02 or newer. Right, fair enough, so basically a sub 5 year old car. Plenty around for £5k.

But, you want a diesel. Uh oh, its getting tricky now - diesel is the current 'in' thing. People who go to the post office twice a week think diesel will save them a packet, so they all want one. But, decent diesel, less than 5 years old, £5k... yea, its probably dooable with something high mileage.

Oh, but you want ultra low depreciation.

Not gonna happen. Any sub 5 year old diesel for £5k will be £5k becuase its either:

a) Falling to bits
b) A model that has suffered from ravenous depreciation.

Obviously you dont want a), but you've said you want low depreciation, so thats not going to happen. As an example, lets have a look at what sort of cars are low depreciation:

a) BMW 320d - whoops, need over £10k for an 02
b) Golf GT TDi (the other TDi's tend to slip a bit) good 02/52/03 plater for £5k? Nope, not gonna happen
c) Mondeo ST TDCi - other Mondeos depreciate like mad. But nope, not for £5k.

Either:

a) Increase budget
b) Accept a much older car
c) Accept the fact depreciation is going to affect you.

The depreciation rate of cars slows as they age - so arguably, changing cars every 6 months anyway will lose you MORE in depreciation than keeping the same car for 2-3 years.

Soldato
I know, i also thought 206, but i prefer the 306, hence suggestion my personal preference.

Might be a little older, but whats a year? Use the spare pennies to chip/remap it :)

Soldato
Ignoring the depreciation thing I'd be looking at either a Mondeo- take your pick of 1.8 or 2.0. TDCi's might be leggy or pre-02. TDDi might be possible thought if your willing to compromise a little.

or

Octavia again your going to struggle for a TDi with your requirements.

I can't see how changing your car every 6 months is really going to save you money though.

Soldato
I wouldn't have said that in all cases of Peugeot. In older 306's maybe, lord knows how many of them i have seen which indicate and the brake lights flash instead, but i am partial to the later ones in Moonstone blue :)

GT3

GT3

Soldato
OP
Like I said, budget can probably be £10k if I can get something that will depreciate bugger all and provided I can be accepted for a loan as I've never really had any credit yet.

02 wasn't strict either, I just want something fairly new that isn't going to need any work doing on it.

I was thinking of those exact cars fox. Also 406 coupe hdi, they seem to be holding value well for a frenchie and I think they look great.

Associate
Citreon Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi or 1.8hdi. Plenty around, hold there value really well and will easily give you 45-50mpg. Get an exclusive model with Leather, huge glass sunroof, aircon, electric windows etc..
Should get a 52/03/53 for £5000-5500 with lowish miles.
Not really trendy (i have a 1.6sx as the main family car) but easy to service, cheap to insure and they don't attract the attention of mindless thugs.
Rob H

exclusive model with a few toys for £4995 retail

Last edited:
Soldato
Phil W said:
I wouldn't have said that in all cases of Peugeot. In older 306's maybe, lord knows how many of them i have seen which indicate and the brake lights flash instead, but i am partial to the later ones in Moonstone blue :)
I'd have said the opposite from my experience. I found the interiors of the latter 306's to be tattier in many cases thats neither here nor there really though. I also know a couple of people with 206's and 307's which were new-ish and they have been nothing but trouble. A few others I know with phase 1 or 2 306's have been pretty reliable all in all.

Back
Top Bottom