• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

cooling an AMD Athlon X2 6000

phn

phn

Associate
hey guys,

i just purchased an Athlon X2 6000 for my computer, upgrading from an Athlon XP 3500+, i didn't get the CPU retail so it didn't come with a heatsink, would the standard AMD heatsink i got with my old CPU be sufficient to cool this one?

thanks for your help.

Mul

Mul

Associate
I'm slightly concerned that you're about to drop a Socket AM2 CPU into a Socket 939 Motherboard. Or are you using an Athlon 64 3500+ Socket AM2?

Mul

Caporegime
helmutcheese said:
Since XP is the 32bit CPU on Socker A and there was no 3500, he obv means something else, there is 3500's though but unsure what socket he has so far.

Yups :)

Cant remember if they went as low as the 3500+ on AM2 or not? I know they did the 3800+.

Will have to wait and see.

Mul

Mul

Associate

phn

phn

Associate
OP
thanks for the speedy replies guys.

it is a socket AM2 board, it also turns out that my motherboard supports every AM2 CPU except for the X2 6000 (and one of the FX CPUs). I guess I should have investigated more thoroughly.

in my defence this wasn't stated in the technical specs on the site i ordered it from (it wasn't here..sorry), nor was it on the UK manufacturers web site specs (I eventually found it on MSI's Taiwan site)

so for now it looks like i'll have to settle with the X2 5600

thanks for the support guys :) i'll know where to order from next time.

Last edited:
Soldato
To grab the original question, I would get a new heatsink like helmutcheese suggests. Your 3500 cooler will be smaller than the 6000 stock cooler (which isn't that impressive itself) and probably lacking the heatpipes.

Associate
phn said:
thanks for the speedy replies guys.

it is a socket AM2 board, it also turns out that my motherboard supports every AM2 CPU except for the X2 6000 (and one of the FX CPUs). I guess I should have investigated more thoroughly.

in my defence this wasn't stated in the technical specs on the site i ordered it from (it wasn't here..sorry), nor was it on the UK manufacturers web site specs (I eventually found it on MSI's Taiwan site)

so for now it looks like i'll have to settle with the X2 5600

thanks for the support guys :) i'll know where to order from next time.

You may just need a bios update to run the 6000+ as its fairly new.

Back
Top Bottom