To the gurus of surround sound

Soldato
droolinggimps set up makes sense. If the bed can fit that way round then you're good to go. Also, squiffy's comment on having the pc and tv togethers a good one.

Looks quite similar to my old set up when i lived with my parents.

gt

Soldato
Clown said:
I want to know how to set it up for two sides of the room.
Clown said:
Clown said:
Clown said:
Clown said:

Seriously. Wake up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Clown, are you saying you want a setup like the OP's awesome diagram :) so surround sound will work for both screens that are on either side of the room??

tiny bit more info would be helpful :)

Soldato
I didn't think I had to spell it out after the picture explained it all, and for someone who's trying to be as smart as squiffy.

Won't it be backwards when looking at one wall?

squiffy said:
Did you?

"You just need a av amplifer"
Congratulation's on offering the world's most vaguest advice. Hi bloke, you need an amp and speakers depending on your budget.

Last edited:
Soldato
For once I'm going to back squiffy up on this one, his origional post makes perfect sense. there is no point in someone recomending kit unless you give a budget for example Squiffy will recomend kit that costs way more than most people can afford or are willing to spend. So instead he tells you what you need with recomending individual kit.

As for your other problem unless both screens are in the same place or you setup some clever customised switching system, ie a switch box the swaps the fronts and rears over and moves the centre speaker, then you are not going to get surround sound in both locations.

Suspended
Clown said:
I didn't think I had to spell it out after the picture explained it all, and for someone who's trying to be as smart as squiffy.

Won't it be backwards when looking at one wall?

Congratulation's on offering the world's most vaguest advice. Hi bloke, you need an amp and speakers depending on your budget.

Go on then, suggest a multi-way switch box that'll rotate the speaker signal according to sitting location.

Since you're attempting to flame me, perhaps offer some of your wisdom...

Suspended
Energize said:
Can you reverse the channels with an amp in the same way you can swap left and right channels?

Not that I'm aware of, newer Av amps might have it.
The OP will need a av amplifier anyway (duh clown) but will need a three 5 channel input x 5 channel output speaker switch. Won't be cheap.

QED make stereo switch boxes, but they only have stereo switch boxes.

Soldato
squiffy said:
Go on then, suggest a multi-way switch box that'll rotate the speaker signal according to sitting location.

Since you're attempting to flame me, perhaps offer some of your wisdom...
That's what my question is. Are you telling me to find an answer for myself? Wouldn't it have been easier to tell me to google it rather than coming back with some smarmy 'read the post' reply. I'm aware of what an AV amp is, and I know what speakers are. Thanks again for referring me to this golden advice.

Last edited:
Suspended
Energize said:
I've just realised. If he's using a pc he can just set ffdshow to reverse the channels! Problem solved

You'll need to have presets for each mode. FFDSHOW can swop channels (upto 5.1)

However if you're sending digital audio it won't work, unless you want to re-encode live/adjust levels/swop, rather than leave it bit for bit.

Regardless if you're to one side then the speakers won't be in the right position either. Even if you do use a multi-way switch box. ie when watching TV you're on the bed, so it's setup for that. When you're using a PC the left speaker will be way off to one side, centre will be to your left, and you're right in front of right speakers.

That's what my question is. Are you telling me to find an answer for myself? Wouldn't it have been easier to tell me to google it rather than coming back with some smarmy 'read the post' reply. I'm aware of what an AV amp is, and I know what speakers are. Thanks again for referring me to this golden advice.

In other words you don't know. Not only that you're just barged into someone else's thread.

A multi-way switch 5 channel box will cost hundreds of pounds. You'll also need to have each channel adjustable in volume too.

Basically there is no way around it. Unless he buys a PC audio system as well as the audio system for the TV. Or sits in the same place for all sources.

Last edited:
Soldato
No I don't know. Which is why I'm asking. I didn't barge into his thread. It was one of his original questions. Thanks for paying attention. How much is your consultancy fee?

Soldato
squiffy said:
However will you be sitting in the same position for all uses (Xbox and PC?) Otherwise the speaker arrangment will be wrong, ie if your PC is opposite your TV.
Clown... come on mate. Squiffy identified the issue in his first post. I'd offer exactly the same comment and leave the OP to get back to confirm whether he/she could modify the layout to allow both the TV and PC to be used from the same position. I know he didn't spell it out but geeeeez.... chillll winston! ;)

To the OP: If i were you i'd use a decent set of headphones with the PC and have the surround system for movies and the xbox. :cool:

gt

Associate
What you could do, is if you find a good enough amp, then you might be able to set the rear center channels as a second zone and use those on a seperate input on the amp with the pc attached to that input.

That's what I plan on doing next year with my pioneer vsx-d2011.
So to claify, I'll set the centre rear channels as second zone and assign that to USB input, and then media pc, DVD player, cd player all have their own seperate input channels that use all the other 5.1 channels.

Back
Top Bottom