New Seagate 7200.11 HDD's???

Man of Honour
I'm looking to get some new drives fairly shortly. I have a 32GB raptor (the first version, I'm sure that the newer 16mb cache versions are supposed to be a lot faster), and a 250GB storage drive which is fast running out.

I'm still wondering what WD have around the corner noticing this release from Seagate and am still wondering whether it's worth getting two of each drive to set up a RAID0 for the OS and a RAID 1 for my data. (Is it possible to set up 4 drives like this?)

Man of Honour
greenlizard0 said:
I'm looking to get some new drives fairly shortly. I have a 32GB raptor (the first version, I'm sure that the newer 16mb cache versions are supposed to be a lot faster), and a 250GB storage drive which is fast running out.

I'm still wondering what WD have around the corner noticing this release from Seagate and am still wondering whether it's worth getting two of each drive to set up a RAID0 for the OS and a RAID 1 for my data. (Is it possible to set up 4 drives like this?)

Should be. Depends on your motherboard really but I imagine most will.

Soldato
greenlizard0 said:

WD unfortunately are a fair way behind as they've put a lot of focus into the 2.5" market this quarter so 3.5" has suffered as a result. 1TB aren't expected till the end of the year and there does not seem to be any conclusion as to what the next Raptor will be.
They'll be plenty of part code changes for less but higher capacity platter drives such as KS to AAKS on the lower cap but apart from that, the drives will be fairly standard for a while now.

Man of Honour
Slackworth said:
WD unfortunately are a fair way behind as they've put a lot of focus into the 2.5" market this quarter so 3.5" has suffered as a result. 1TB aren't expected till the end of the year and there does not seem to be any conclusion as to what the next Raptor will be.
They'll be plenty of part code changes for less but higher capacity platter drives such as KS to AAKS on the lower cap but apart from that, the drives will be fairly standard for a while now.

Heheh, you know what I'm hovering around the *buy* button, you're not just co-ercing me into clicking it are you? ;)

That aside, fair point, I'll dwell a little deeper. Is there any other info you can give us? :D

Soldato
You can gladly click the buy button.

Not really much to say on the WD front. New Raptor will either be a 3.5" 10K 300GB SATA-II 32MB Cache or 2.5" 10K SATA for notebooks which will be amazingly fast but might have battery and heat issues.

Seagate are the next to have the 1TB followed by Samsung. Solid State will not be mainstream at least until next year and FlashOn seems to have been delayed.

Soldato
Slackworth: Have you guys got an ETA on the 7200.11s? I'm looking to move away from my scsi's and these are what I want. Please, please, please - get that buy button ready :D

Associate
Slackworth said:
WD unfortunately are a fair way behind as they've put a lot of focus into the 2.5" market this quarter so 3.5" has suffered as a result.

'Suffered' is a bit harsh, they've just released the world's fastest consumer hard drive.

Soldato
mosfet said:
'Suffered' is a bit harsh, they've just released the world's fastest consumer hard drive.

Which one? Has something superseded the Raptor X (150gb)? The new 7200.11's are claiming faster sustained transfer than the Raptors - only the seek is better :confused:

Soldato
cavemanoc said:
Slackworth: Have you guys got an ETA on the 7200.11s? I'm looking to move away from my scsi's and these are what I want. Please, please, please - get that buy button ready :D

Spoke to Seagate today and unfortunately they've not put the date back to August at the earliest if not longer.

mosfet said:

I may have been a little harsh as the argument is certainly two sided. The WD drive is certainly quick and WD always do well in this department but as far as new innovations go (apart from Raptors and 250GB 2.5") they are always the last. This is also certainly a good thing purely because they get to see how reliable the newer technology is before investing a lot of R&D costs plus it gives them the advantage of being able to smash up the other vendors.

My main argument is the fact that they've put all their focus into 2.5" development and things like the 300GB Raptor have taken a backseat because of it. Great shame. :( Yet on the other side of things, with the 250GB Scorpio, WD are on to a winner. Only Fujitsu have a 250GB drive out and it's 12.5mm high so won't fit all laptops making the WD a clear winner.

Back
Top Bottom