• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What's the best?

Associate
I have an A8V deluxe motherboard and I have been reading the manual and under CPU it says:

Socket 939 for AMD Athlon FX / Athlon 64 processor.
Supports AMD 64 architecture that enables simulataneous 32-bit and 64-bit computing.
Supports AMD 'cool and quiet' technology.

I have an AMD Athlon 4000+ (claw hammer).

A few questions:
1. What is the 'best' chip I can upgrade to?
(I expected there to be more 939 chips when I bought my pc)
2. Is it possible or worth going to dual core?
3. Are most programs multi-threaded these days?

Associate
OP
I wouldn't spend more than £100

I like the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ suggested

I wanted to check also if most programs are able to make best use of the dual processor. I don't want to be only running 'half' of the chip i.e. 1GHz!

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Quite a lot of software is now multi-threaded. Even Windows.

Single-theaded apps may be a little slower than your 4000+, but if your X2 clocks well the difference won't be noticeable.

Associate
sassora said:
I wouldn't spend more than £100

I like the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ suggested

I wanted to check also if most programs are able to make best use of the dual processor. I don't want to be only running 'half' of the chip i.e. 1GHz!
You have 2 cores working at 2 gig each ie 4gig of cycles not 2 cores working at 1gig.

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldnt upgrade to another 939 processor you wont see enough of a difference. What do you use your computer for? If Gaming then upgrading the graphics is much more effective.

Man of Honour
BAMBI said:
I wouldnt upgrade to another 939 processor you wont see enough of a difference. What do you use your computer for? If Gaming then upgrading the graphics is much more effective.

I went from a 64 3700+ to a dual core Opteron 175 and I noticed a noticable difference. Saying that though I've just upgraded to the E4300 and it blows the Opty out of the water.

Associate
MilanoChris said:
I went from a 64 3700+ to a dual core Opteron 175 and I noticed a noticable difference. Saying that though I've just upgraded to the E4300 and it blows the Opty out of the water.
If you max out your graphics card you wouldnt notice a difference.

Associate
OP
I think I will go for the dual core 3800+ and keep the opteron on my wishlist!

Changing to c2d sounds like a lot of hassle to me, surely there will be issues of compatability of my other components?

Man of Honour
sassora said:
I think I will go for the dual core 3800+ and keep the opteron on my wishlist!

Changing to c2d sounds like a lot of hassle to me, surely there will be issues of compatability of my other components?

No not really, the only one would be if you've currently got an APG mobo and AGP GFX card in which your search for a decent replacement would be limited.

If you list your current spec I'm sure someone here would be happy to spec you with a good piece of kit to keep you going.

What's your budget?

Associate
I think he said he didn't want to spend more than £100.

On that matter, I think your best either sticking to what you've got or getting that 3800X2 others have recommended.

Just out of curiosity, whats wrong with your 4000+, I've got one in the comp I'm using at the moment and don't really notice a difference between this and my overclocked Opteron 165 (2.7ghz). I have another system with a Core 2 Duo E4300 OCed to 2.7ghz and that feels alittle bit faster, but not all THAT much, mainly in more demanding games.

What is the spec of the rest of your system??

Man of Honour
I wouldn't personally bother with an upgrade if the budget is £100. I'd stick it in a kitty and wait till I could afford something worthwhile. Just my 2P.

Permabanned
104.jpg

then you can sell your current mobo + cpu

Back
Top Bottom