Gunship2000 like game...

Man of Honour
Been playing on my Amiga again - this time I dug out Gunship 2000 and was soon flying down rivers again below ground level and enjoying myself by popping up - launching a couple of hellfires and sinking down again.

Anything like this on the PC? Especially if it's the Longbow Apache :D

Really need to get back into flightsims as my Cougars are getting very dusty...

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Gunship! was shocking. Very, very poor.

As mentioned Enemy Engaged was superb, and the two sims would run together giving you 4 choppers to fly. The Campaign in it is second to none. Missions are dynamically generated depending on how the virtual war is going, and if you **** up a mission someone else has to go in and clean up your mess. :)

There's also the add on to LOMAC which added the Hokum IIRC, dunno if this was finally released though.

Man of Honour
OP
Good god - mention large choppers and the people flood in. ;) :p

Been through my boxes of older games...Found some very good stuff..

TFX
Wargasm
Total Air War
Apache Longbow *by Digital Intergration*
Hind *by Digital Intergration*
Jane's AH-64D Longbow *apparently there's a Longbow 2 - will have to keep an eye out for that*

Did find my copy of Enemy Engaged - Comanche Vs Hokum

And the manual for Enemy Engaged - Apache vs Havoc. Errrrr....

Also found a good site about flight sim history - remember to turn the sound down though.

http://migman.com/ - Currently going through it looking for other chopper sims I can have a go at.

Cheers. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
Managed to pickup a secondhand copy of Comanche 4. Seems like my sort of game, looks like a sim on the surface is plays like an arcade game. I like the fact that it's a pick-up-and-play style of game (fairly rare where aircraft are concerned) that doesn't require reading a 200 page manual just to learn how to take off.

Basically it gives me what I want - the ability to go to war in 'real' scenarios, but without over-emphasis on realism.

The interface is a tad dated now but overall the graphics aren't THAT bad for a 2001 game. Rotors flickering at the top of the screen are doing my nut in though!

Man of Honour
OP
Enemy Engaged 2 is now out. It's not easy with everything set to it's most realistic levels.

Very easy to pick up and play, but hard to master.

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
Lost many hours to Gunship 2000 on the Amiga 600/1200 along with F15 II Strike Eagle from the same stable. In retrospect they were simple by comparison with today's expectation but the implementation and gameplay was compelling. Never forget the genuine shock when a Hind popped up at point blank range or you flew round a hill...into a SAM battery. "We're going red..."

Longbow 2 from Janes/EA was about the best of the siblings.

Unfortunately it was very much a product of its time (early 2000's) and optimised for 3DFX/Voodoo cards. ISTR it didn't work very well under WinME and not at all with XP, also Nvidia graphics cards turned the smooth Voodoo graphics into a patchwork quilt.

However it was quite superb, real tactics and planning required with a semi-dynamic campaign.

Come on EA, how about a re-work and re-release?

Man of Honour
Vern1961 said:
Longbow 2 from Janes/EA was about the best of the siblings.

Unfortunately it was very much a product of its time (early 2000's) and optimised for 3DFX/Voodoo cards. ISTR it didn't work very well under WinME and not at all with XP, also Nvidia graphics cards turned the smooth Voodoo graphics into a patchwork quilt.

Longbow2 was definitely out by 1998 as I remember getting a glide demo on a coverdisk around the time I got my Voodoo1 card.

Might be worth trying a glide wrapper such as http://www.zeckensack.de/glide/ if you wanna run it on a modern card. Worked surprising well in the couple of games I tried using it.

Soldato
i have hind on my amiga. :D

that game was hard to play lol!

TFX was good on the PC as well but it was another game on the amiga i used to love... cant remember the name...

think it was fighter bomber.... i remember it was the only game i could fly the F-111 in at the time lol.

Back
Top Bottom