FEAR and routers

Associate
Trying to set up port forwarding so I can play FEAR through my router but it doesn't seem to be working... The readme says 27888 is the port I need to open, is this correct?
Game was working fine up until I plugged in the router so I know it's not my firewall or any other reason! :)

Associate
OP
Sorry, my bad, I didn't phrase my OP properly: I DID try 27888 like it said in the readme (actually it said you need it open to HOST games, not to join them, but I extrapolated...), both TCP and UDP just to be oin the safe side, and the game still wouldn't work. It can't find a single server in the whole of the internet.

Man of Honour
It doesn't require opening any inbound ports to simply play the game. Are you 100% sure that you don't have a firewall problem (be it on your PC or on the router?). Many routers just use NAT rather than a seperate proper firewall, but some do have the additional (and needless) feature.

It's worth disabling your own firewall "just in case".

I can happily play FEAR without forwarding any ports - it's only for hosting that the forwarding is required.

Associate
OP
:/

Wasn't the firewall, wasn't the router...

I'd forgotten that PeerGuardian blocks Gamespy and I need to disable it before running the game. It's working fine now.

Thanks for your replies, and feel free to :rolleyes: at me - I know I am! :p

Man of Honour
Lol. At least you managed to work it out in the end :)

I've not played FEAR in a while..I used to be pretty good at it (FrenchTart), though that sadly translated to being banned from several servers for "hacking" :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom