• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AGP card dead - Advice Needed

Associate
Hi,

This is my first post here, and it's made in desperation! My old ATI 9800SE All In Wonder card has just died. It seems it has been on the way out for a while now and finally gave up the ghost about 2 hours ago. I have had to dig out a very old 2MB PCI card just so I can write this.

So, a question that I am sure has been asked a thousand times, but what would be my best choice of upgrade. I do not want to upgrade anything else and my budget is £50-£75 - I will be ordering in the next day or two to hopefully get something sorted by the weekend.

Current spec:
ASUS A7N8X Mobo (8x AGP), Athlon 2500XP, 512MB RAM, 380 Watt Antec PSU, Samsung 226BW monitor.

Pretty low spec I know, but Im not a big gamer - I mainly use PC for web browsing, work, watching movies, watching TV (don't suppose there are any decent cards with integrated TV tuners about??), and the occasional oldish game. As you can tell I have not upgraded for several years so I am very out of touch. 2 options that have become immediate possibilities are the ATI x1650 Pro and NVidia 7600GS - both for about £60. Any views on these and alternatives would be much appreciated. I look forward to your suggestions. Thanks in advance :)

Associate
OP
Hi,

I have managed to find a Palit 7600GT for about the price you mentioned. Im not that familiar with Palit, but doing a search of the forum it seems to me they are OK. Anybody have any opinions for or against Palit? For a couple of quid more Leadtek cards are about. I would have a bit more confidence in them as I have heard of them :) Would there be any difference in performance, warrantees etc. Again any opinions appreciated. I am in a bit of a rush, so would be looking to order tomorrow. Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom