Civic Type R, Focus ST, Golf GTI

Soldato
Nickg said:
engine moves about?! that means you need Prothane motor mounts to me to stop engine movement. stopping the tranny from moving whilst the engine still shows signs of movement cannot be good imo.

prothanes + shift link stabiliser would probably do the job and for cheaper!

Shift Link Stabiliser = DTS ? Seems to be from the description.
Engine movement gets sorted by the snub mount poly bushes which I think are similar to Prothanes?
Sorry I did say engine, but I know what I meant LOL.

Caporegime
Bobbler said:
Shift Link Stabiliser = DTS ? Seems to be from the description.
Engine movement gets sorted by the snub mount poly bushes which I think are similar to Prothanes?
Sorry I did say engine, but I know what I meant LOL.

yea but crikey $300+ for a steel bar, if it made the trans stabiliser is solid, but the engine and the transmisson does move, i think you'd see a cracked tranny or similar.

on g20 they simply use one of these;

http://www.g20.net/gallery/data/3511/RST5.jpg

obviously smaller and cheaper. the advice is to do the transmission mount and then the SLS afterwards to avoid any untimely breakages!

poly bushes are the quick fix to making your own prothane/poyurethane mixture solution.

Associate
Without reading the rest of this thread (as per usual), for £300 a month you're looking at a Focus ST or Octavia vRS from a brokers. Both are going for around 15k @ broadspeed or if you're not too bothered about a warranty or spec, the Octavia is going at £13,999 from Motorpoint for a standard spec from Malta (2 year warranty).

The purchase price of the Civic/Golf will push it over the £300 unless you have a decent deposit.

Depends on your mileage etc as the Focus will cost more to run, the Civic will probably cost less and the Golf/Octavia will be similar/in the middle as Skoda servicing isn't the cheapest.

Soldato
OP
Well, I just got off the phone from Ford who offered the ST they have in stock for £16K and with one of these Personal Finance Contracts it was £398 a month.

At that sort of money, I may as well get a loan at £400 a month and by myself an RS4 audi.

So thats out. Plus if I'm honest, I really didn't like it that much.

Where can I get a new civic for £300 a month then? Someone said on here ages ago, you could get them cheaper again. Is this by going online and searching - ie "allbrandsnew"?

I've got deposit money too but don't really want to use that as I don't intend to keep the car at the end - to me that would be dead money.

Permabanned
Shaz]sigh[ said:
Without reading the rest of this thread (as per usual), for £300 a month you're looking at a Focus ST or Octavia vRS from a brokers. Both are going for around 15k @ broadspeed or if you're not too bothered about a warranty or spec, the Octavia is going at £13,999 from Motorpoint for a standard spec from Malta (2 year warranty).

The purchase price of the Civic/Golf will push it over the £300 unless you have a decent deposit.

Depends on your mileage etc as the Focus will cost more to run, the Civic will probably cost less and the Golf/Octavia will be similar/in the middle as Skoda servicing isn't the cheapest.

No chance of getting a FST from a broker, theres people still waiting for theirs a year on :eek: This is why dealers wont offer much discount on a new one.

Soldato
focus ST + a trip to wolf for a the 285 package ;) or if you're feeling flush, the 315 package :D

Still keeps your full warranty etc, and they still manage to put the power down. I drove the 285 (basically just a remap) and it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it'd be! The 315 has a new turbo etc, so is a completely different beast and costs £5k, but the 285 is only a £1500 jobby which includes a new exhaust and intake etc :)

Tom.

Soldato
OP
TBH, I just didn't like it. Surprised they are so highly regarded. Admittedly I didn't get much time with it or drive but I didn't like the seats, the interior felt cheap (buttons) and the driving position felt like I was in an MPV - to me anyway.

Going to look at VW and maybe Honda if I can be bothered to trek over the hills - I really like the Civic interior. Someone on OC did say a Type R could be had for £220 or something. How I don't know.

I have a feeling I'm not going to be happy with whatever finance plan I get offered so an S4 looks the most likely replacement for my Impreza.

Soldato
I do love my Focus ST but after just short of a years ownership I am growing a bit tired of it..

For £300 a month I certainly wouldn't be buying anything 7 years old, especially not an S4, they really are snoozeworthy inside and I've never seen them particularly highly spoken of in the motoring press either.

I seem to remember Evo saying it had "man at c&a underwear".

For that sort of money, depending on mileage (sorry if you said how much you do as I didn't see) I'd think STi, Evo 8?, 330ci/cd etc.

Caporegime
matt100 said:
especially not an S4, they really are snoozeworthy inside and I've never seen them particularly highly spoken of in the motoring press either.

the old shaped sporting audis never fared well. They were too nose heavy, too softly set up to be considered a drivers car. They were just fast cruisers with most of the drive going to the front, and only ever 50% of the drive going to the rear

this only changed with the very latest RS4

Soldato
MrLOL said:
the old shaped sporting audis never fared well. They were too nose heavy, too softly set up to be considered a drivers car. They were just fast cruisers with most of the drive going to the front, and only ever 50% of the drive going to the rear

this only changed with the very latest RS4

Which is exactly why you dont really leave them as standard. RS4 suspension, uprated ARBs etc all do make them pretty decent.
Heck I came from an ITR which is without doubt one of the finest handling cars money can buy. Its not the same but its certainly not bad at all.

Soldato
OP
matt100 said:
I do love my Focus ST but after just short of a years ownership I am growing a bit tired of it..

For £300 a month I certainly wouldn't be buying anything 7 years old, especially not an S4, they really are snoozeworthy inside and I've never seen them particularly highly spoken of in the motoring press either.

For that sort of money, depending on mileage (sorry if you said how much you do as I didn't see) I'd think STi, Evo 8?, 330ci/cd etc.

If an ST is £400 a month, I can't see any of the cars suggested being anywhere near £300 via contract. I could get a loan plus cash to buy one but I didn't want to get a loan or use up my cash. Plus I've had an Impreza and fancy a change. No to BMW and an EVO is going to be similar to the Impreza.

Even though the S4 is 7 years old, I prefered the interior to the ST. The age/mileage issue does put me off a bit. An RS4 is going to be about the same age too. As Bobbler says, suspension tweaks can sort out the S4s handling - H&R was suggested by the chap selling the S4 I drove. The chap also had a B7 S4 (4.2) now that sounded very nice and he was planning a supercharger! I do think they look a bit bland though. At least with the RS4, you can see theres something cooking underneath it.

This is the S4 near me (Guess he didn't go ahead with the 'charger)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/199005.htm

Last edited:
Soldato
The snoozyness of the S4 was part of my criteria when I was car shopping this time round. You start to grow tired of every kiddie in a Saxo hanging off your bumper when you are just taking your little one to visit grans. I had that all the time in the ITR hence why I went for something that could just blend in when I wanted.
Its a winner for my needs.

Back
Top Bottom